Softball begins five-game road trip with Western Michigan

047a1784

Senior pitcher Rachael Knapp pitches the ball to a Kent State player on April 2 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

While the Central Michigan softball team was having lots of success over the past couple of weeks winning a majority of their games, the team has had a sudden tough stretch.

Following a nine game winning streak, CMU has now lost three of their last five games, finishing the eight-game home stand with a 5-3 record.

Despite the recent losses, CMU (19-10 overall, 4-2 Mid-American Conference) is tied with Ball State for second place in the MAC West, just one game back from the first place Northern Illinois Huskies.

As head coach Margo Jonker said, she doesn't see the recent losses setting this team back very much.

“I don’t have to be worried about this team when it comes to being ready for the next game, they want to play,” Jonker said. “We’ve got a lot of players who have been here for awhile and have been through rough stretches. It hasn't stopped them before, it can imagine it stopping them now.”

CMU splits last week

Last Tuesday began the final four games of the Chippewas home stand when they took on the at the time No. 20 Michigan Wolverines.

It was a high anticipated pitching duel between a pair of seniors who are the ace’s for their staffs: Rachael Knapp and Megan Besta.

At the end of the day, Besta was just too much to handle for the Chippewa hitters. The McDonough, Georgia native only allowed one hit and struck out nine batters in part of a 2-0 Michigan victory.

Knapp also had respectable performance, only allowing five hits and two runs while striking out a pair of batters in the losing effort.

“I just take it one step at a time, one batter at a time, one pitch at a time,” she said. “I try to play the game normal and not play against who the uniform is that is facing us.”

The big hits in the game came from Michigan senior Kelly Christner, who hit a home run to left-center field and singled to drive in both runs of the game for the Wolverines.

Following a few days off for the Chippewas and a weather delay for Friday’s game, CMU resumed action on Saturday for double-header against Kent State.

CMU swept the two game set, winning the first game 1-0 and the second game 9-2.

In the first game, it was a pitching duel once again that involved Knapp and Kent State’s senior pitcher Ronnie Ladines that lasted 11 innings.

Knapp got the best of the two, earning her 11th win for the season. The senior only allowed seven hits and struck out 13 batters.
Junior catcher Maison Kalina had the walk-off single for the Chippewas in the bottom of the 11th inning to earn the win. Allison Curtis had three of the teams six hits on the afternoon.

In the second game, it was CMU dominating from start to finish, racking up eight runs in the first four innings.

It was junior pitcher Hannah Warren that was credited with her sixth win of the year, while striking out eight Golden Flashes and only allowing two hits.

Sunday in the weekend series finale, it was Ladines and Knapp again, but this time it was Kent State who got the win.

Two late costly walks from Knapp (who only allowed three hits for the entire game) allowed Kent State’s sophomore left fielder Bailey Brownfield to hit a double up the gap and score two runs, which gave the Golden Flashes all they needed in a 3-2 win.

The loss dropped Knapp to 11-6 overall this season and improved Ladines to 5-11.

Back on the Road

The Chippewas will now head out on the road for five-straight games, starting with a trip to Kalamazoo to take on their rival Western Michigan.

The Broncos (13-17, 1-5) come in as losers in six of their last seven games, with their most recent results coming in a split of a double-header against Ohio on Saturday.

Jonker said no matter what the situation is against Western Michigan, they always get the same results.

“Western (Michigan) is a tough team (because) they usually hit the ball really well,” Jonker said. “They are struggling a bit right now, but I saw them over spring break sometimes rocket the ball and other times they didn't know where it was at, so we anticipate some tough games, hopefully the nice weather holds up.”

WMU’s pitching staff is led by sophomore pitcher Jordan Kurth and junior pitcher Holly VanTilburg. Kurth (6-11) leads the team in wins and innings pitched, tossing 87 innings over 19 games. VanTilburg (3-1) on the other hand leads the team in earned run average (2.59) with Kurth right behind her (2.73) in that category.

At the dish, the Broncos are led by Kelsea Cichocki who leads the team in batting average (.489) RBIs (34) and games started (30).

CMU will then head to Akron, Ohio where they will take on the Zips in a three-game weekend set.

Akron (14-18, 3-3) is currently on a two-game winning streak, but has lost four of their last six games. The Zips will have a double-header against Buffalo on Tuesday before playing the Chippewas.

Doing most of the pitching for the Zips is freshman Lexie Handley who has tossed 126.1 innings this year in 26 appearances in the circle. The Mogadore, Ohio native has an 11-10 record with a 2.72 ERA while tallying 112 strikeouts.

Hitting wise, Akron is led by Ashley Sims who has 35 hits in 90 chances at the plate this season (.444 average.) which leads the team. She also is the top in stolen bases with 31 on the year.

Senior right fielder Evelyn Lorimer said the team just needs to improve in a few areas as they head back on the road.

“We are going to work on hitting a little bit and we will work on defense and sharpen a couple things up,” Lorimer said. “I have no doubts going to Western, they are one of our rivals obviously, so we are going to pick ourselves up and be ready for a fight Tuesday.”