Senior tight end Tyler Conklin undergoes foot surgery, no timetable for return

dsc_2701

Senior tight end Tyler Conklin answers questions on July 26 during MAC Media Day at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Senior tight end Tyler Conklin underwent surgery to repair a broken foot on Wednesday, according to Central Michigan football head coach John Bonamego.

Conklin reportedly broke his foot in training camp and doctors currently have no timetable for his return, Bonamego said.

“We’ll continue to listen to the medical professionals,” he said. “What’s most important now is Tyler’s health. Thankfully, this is a position where we have some depth.”

The Chesterfield native, who transferred from Northwood University in 2015, broke out for the Chippewas with 42 receptions for 560 yards and six touchdowns in 2016. He had two catches in the upset win at Oklahoma State and made national highlight reels with his one-handed catch against Ohio.

Conklin was expected to have an even bigger role this season in the new spread offense. He was named to the John Mackey Award preseason watch list. 

The award is given to the nation's top tight end. 

Behind Conklin, CMU has senior Zach Crouch (21 career receptions) and juniors Logan Hessbrook and Jonathan Carson, who both got playing time in the spring game.

Central Michigan opens the season against Rhode Island at 7 p.m. on Aug. 31 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.