Armstrong challenges Keon for starting kicker position

As the battle for the starting quarterback position intensifies with just days until the season kicks off, a kicking competition between senior Michael Armstrong and sophomore Kaden Keon also has taken place.

Transfer student Armstrong from Southern Methodist University leads the way, said head coach John Bonamego. Right behind him was Keon, who Bonamego said has done well this offseason. 

“Michael and Kaden have both been better with their place kicking,” Bonamego said. “Last year was a rough year, battling through a lot of injuries. We didn't have the depth at that position like we do now.”

Armstrong graduated from SMU in three years and still has two years of eligibility remaining after redshirting as a sophomore with the Mustangs. When it came to his decision to transfer, Armstrong said how his future looked with their program being the key.

Bonamego is Armstrong's fourth college head coach. The placekicker was recruited to SMU by June Jones, but Jones was fired after the second game of Armstrong's freshman year. Chad Morris came in as head coach from Clemson and changed the whole outlook on the team. 

“My redshirt sophomore year, we got more new staff and Chad Morris's whole philosophy was only recruiting the state of Texas and I’m not a Texas guy," Armstrong said. 

“They told me I was only going to be on kickoff and I wanted more than that,” he said. 

That’s what led Armstrong to CMU. He has been in Mount Pleasant since July 11, but  has convinced Bonamego enough to take over the lead for the starting role so far. At SMU, Armstrong attempted two field goals, making just one from 22 yards out.

With the battle continuing between Keon and Armstrong, the two players have become close on and off the field, helping each other get better every day.

“Kaden (Keon) is a great guy and probably is one of my better friends on the team because we spend so much time together,” Armstrong said of his kicking competitor. “We have a really good relationship and everybody has been super friendly, making it a great environment. It’s been easy to get adjusted and fit right in.”

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound kicker said having a kicking coach like Shayne Graham has helped both himself and Keon with their consistency and fundamentals.

Graham played for 11 teams in his 15-year career as a placekicker in the NFL, making over 85 percent (277-for-324) of his attempts as a pro. Armstrong couldn't speak highly enough about Graham.

“It was a huge reason that I came here. Realistically, he is one of the top-10 kickers to ever walk the face of the planet earth,” Armstrong said. “The expectations are obviously really high because he’s one of the best to ever do it, which is good.

“There is very few schools that have coaches that can help you like this one, and having one who has been there mentally is huge and can help in all the little spots.”

Armstrong, a North Carolina native, said punting has never been an area he has tried in football, but in high school he went to Africa where he played rugby punting with success. Armstrong said the Chippewas were not willing to try that style for their special teams.

CMU's punting position will be filled by junior Jack Sheldon who punted for the team last year. He punted 47 times in 12 games while averaging 40.2 yards per punt. 

For a season outlook, Armstrong said before he even came to Mount Pleasant, it was clear as to why he chose CMU.

“I think we are going to have a really good season,” Armstrong said. “This is a good team that is ready to do big things.”