Fans should expect fast, uptempo offense this football season

football_1
Junior wide receiver Corey Willis, top left, celebrates with his team after scoring during the game against Kent State on Oct. 29 at Kelly / Shorts Stadium.

An injury to Central Michigan star tight end just made head football coach John Bonamego and offensive coordinator Chris Ostrowsky’s job a bit more challenging.

Senior Tyler Conklin reportedly broke his foot in training camp. Doctors have no timetable for his return. Ostrowsky is working with other returning starters at receiver, offensive line and running back to implement his new offense.

Pairing with graduate transfer quarterback Shane Morris and redshirt freshman quarterback Tony Poljan, Ostrowsky is implementing a spread offense similar to the one he used as a head coach at Northern Michigan University. At NMU, Ostrowsky’s offense broke team scoring records, averaging more than 30 points per game.

In the backfield, Ostrowsky has senior Devon Spalding, sophomore Jonathan Ward, Minnesota transfer Berkley Edwards and junior Romello Ross at his disposal. Spalding is expected to lead the group as a senior, having the most touchdowns and carries during the 2016-17 season.

“The importance of running the football is still a staple in our offense,” Ostrowsky said. “It’s not a situation where we think we are going to throw it 50 times each game because that’s not the case.”

The goal is to have the best five skill players on the field at the same time, Bonamego said. That starts with the running backs.

"We can get Spalding and Ward on the field at the same time," Bonamego said. "We help (the offensive line) out by dressing it up differently, from formations to motion and that sort of thing. That is one of the things that you will notice about this offense compared to a conventional spread.”

Senior wide receiver Corey Willis, who led the Chippewas with nine touchdowns last season, is expected to be used more frequently this year. Though he led the team in receptions during his junior year, Willis will have the opportunity to thrive in a spread offense.

“Everybody is going to be everywhere,” Conklin said about how the team lines up in the new system. “There’s going to be more catching for everybody. With the tempo of the offense and throwing the ball more, there is going to be more production.”

Along with Morris and Edwards, another transfer player who has the chance to make an impact is tight end Logan Hessbrook. The senior from Saginaw Valley State played in seven regular season games with SVSU, tallying five catches for 52 yards. Bonamego said Hessbrook has an opportunity to make his impression with Tyler Conklin being out for significant time.

Before his injury, Conklin said he was excited for the new offensive system during MAC Media Day on July 26 at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“We love the new offense,” Conklin said. “Who doesn’t like catching balls and scoring more points? We think everybody at CMU is going to like it, too. There’s going to be a different feel in the stadium.”

Conklin said the Chippewas hope for their scoring average to be in the high 30s.

The Chippewas open the 2017-18 season at Kelly/Shorts Stadium against Rhode Island on Thursday, Aug. 31.