Program Board releases Weeks of Welcome schedule

Program Board has announced its Weeks of Welcome schedule, which includes movies, trivia and comedy. 

The events run from Sept. 7 to Oct. 17 and are open to Central Michigan University students and the community.

Muskegon senior and Program Board Vice President Kaitlyn Reed said the organization is focusing on fun and welcoming events for Weeks of Welcome.

“We’ve got movie nights, trivia nights; lots of stuff going on to hopefully welcome the freshmen and even the returning students to campus,” she said.

Weeks of Welcome Events and Programs

“Baby Driver” – 7 p.m. on Sept. 7 at the Health Professions field

Post Secret Lecture – 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 11 at Plachta Auditorium

Comedy Central Hood Adjacent with James Davis Tour – 7 p.m. on Sept. 14 at Plachta Auditorium

“Baywatch” – 7 p.m. on Sept. 21 in Pearce 127

Trivia Night – 8 p.m. on Sept. 28 in Powers Ballroom

Trivia Night – 8 p.m. on Oct. 5 in Powers Ballroom

“Spider-man: Homecoming” – 7 p.m. on Oct. 12 in Pearce 127 

The two biggest Weeks of Welcome events, she said, will be the Post Secret lecture on Sept. 11 and comedian James Davis, who will perform on Sept. 14. 

Post Secret is a project where people mail in anonymous secrets on postcards. The secrets are shared on the Post Secret website, postsecret.com.

"We thought it would be a good event to have students attend since it shows how people struggle and how other people might be facing the same struggles as us," said Program Board President Marissa Mattioli.

The group decided to bring Davis, who hosts "Hood Adjacent" on Comedy Central, because comedy is popular on campus, Mattioli said. Davis uses his comedy to bring attention to racial and socioeconomic division and his experiences of growing up in a "hood" adjacent to the projects of South Central Los Angeles. 

As of Aug. 9, nine episodes are available to watch on YouTube, Vudu, Amazon Video and other streaming services.

"We wanted to bring a big show in the beginning of the semester for people to get excited and to get Program Board's name out there," Mattioli said. 

Reed said Program Board is in the process of coordinating more events for the second half of the semester but some of the details still need to be finalized including two additional speakers at the end of the semester.

A new emphasis within the organization, Reed said, is on expanding Program Board's special events and placing a heavier focus on local talent.

“We’re hoping to get events that appeal to every kind of student,” she said.

The organization also announced its fall film series show times which includes a line-up like Edgar Wright's "Baby Driver" and the superhero reboot "Spider-man: Homecoming."