Halftime BTN: Western Michigan 21, Central Michigan 7

western1
Senior quarterback Shane Morris runs the ball during the game against Western Michigan on Nov. 1 in Waldo Stadium.

On a stormy night in Kalamazoo, the Central Michigan football team took the field looking to end its three-game losing skid against rival Western Michigan.

In the opening half, CMU has dug itself an double-digit hole, trailing the Broncos 21-7. 

WMU running back Jarvion Franklin started the game off with a bang, exploding through the right side of the line for a 47-yard touchdown to give the Broncos an early 7-0 advantage.

Following a pair of punts from both sides, Franklin broke off a 39-yard run to set up the Broncos with first and goal. It resulted in an 8-yard score from Bronco tailback Devon Tucker and a 14-0 WMU lead.

On the following drive, the Chippewas answered.

The Broncos were penalized with a facemask on a fourth down, setting up CMU’s touchdown from transfer quarterback Shane Morris on a 3-yard keeper. It tightened things up at 14-7 WMU.

Nearing the break, a third WMU running back found the end zone. This time it was Jamauri Bogan from two yards out advancing the Bronco lead to 21-7.

In the first quarter, the Broncos out-rushed the Chippewas 184-24 with a pair of scores. 

Senior defensive end Joe Ostman has been sidelined with an unidentified injury. He came into the week leading the nation in sacks with 10. 

Here’s a look at the first half by the numbers.

Passing Yards: CMU 52, WMU 28

Rushing yards: CMU 30, WMU 241

Total yards: CMU 82, WMU 269

First Downs: CMU 3, WMU 12

Turnovers: CMU 0, WMU 1

Penalties-yards: CMU 1-2, WMU 3-21

Highlight of the half: With WMU driving early in the second quarter, sophomore defensive back Sean Bunting came up with a big takeaway. Bronco quarterback Reece Goddard was scanning the field when he threw the ball right into the arms of Bunting, who had an 18-yard return to the CMU 28 yard line. It was CMU’s 11th interception on the season.