Toledo beats Northern Illinois, earns top spot in MAC West Division

fballrusco-5

Football players listen to a coach during the Central Michigan vs Western Michigan football game on Nov. 1 at Waldo Stadium. 

Senior running back Terry Swanson led the way for Toledo in a 27-17 win over Northern Illinois with 29 carries for 116 yards and three touchdowns. 

With the win, the Rockets jumped to 8-1 on the season and 5-0 in Mid-American Conference play, grabbing the top spot in the MAC West Division. 

MAC West Division

Central Michigan senior quarterback Shane Morris accounted for four touchdowns - two passing and two rushing - in CMU’s 35-28 win over rival Western Michigan at Waldo Stadium. The game winning touchdown was a 77-yard strike from Morris to senior wide receiver Corey Willis. 

The Chippewas (5-4, 3-2 MAC) scored 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to jump up to third place in the MAC West, behind Toledo and Northern Illinois. The loss for WMU pushed the Broncos down to fourth. 

Eastern Michigan and Ball State are fifth and sixth, respectively. 

MAC East Division

Ohio (7-2, 4-1 MAC) managed to hold onto a tie for the top spot in the MAC East in a 45-28 win over Miami (Ohio). 

Bobcats sophomore quarterback Nathan Rourke completed 21 of 33 passes for 294 yards and three touchdowns. He added 10 carries for 54 yards and three scores on the ground. 

Ohio and Akron are tied for the lead in the MAC East with a 4-1 record. Bowling Green and Miami follow with 2-3 records, while Buffalo and Kent State are tied for last at 1-4 in MAC action. 

Other Scores

Eastern Michigan 56, Ball State 14

Bowling Green 44, Kent State 16

Where CMU Stands

With the rivalry win over Western Michigan, CMU head coach John Bonamego has turned the season around. 

The Chippewas will face Eastern Michigan, Kent State, and Northern Illinois in the final three games of the season. 

Morris, a former Warren De La Salle star and University of Michigan athlete, was 12 of 30 through the air for 243 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions in the pouring rain against WMU. He added eight carries for 27 yards and two touchdowns. 

Between Morris and senior receivers Eric Cooper, Tyler Conklin, Mark Chapman and Willis, the Chippewas could make a run at the MAC title game. 

Toledo, the team standing in CMU’s way, has games against Ohio, Bowling Green and Western Michigan remaining. 

First, Central Michigan will focus on the Eagles. 

Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Last season, EMU defeated CMU 26-21 at Rynearson Stadium in the final game of the year.