Family ties link A.J. Bullard to men's basketball

aj-bullard
Freshman forward A.J. Bullard poses for a portrait on Dec. 7 at McGuirk Arena.

From 1988-1990, Matt Bullard played collegiate basketball for the University of Iowa under head coach Tom Davis.

Central Michigan men’s basketball freshman forward A.J. Bullard is much like his father on the court with a tall stature and outstanding 3-point shooting capabilities.

A.J. has another thing in common – he too plays for a Davis.

Not for Tom Davis, but his son, Keno Davis.

“With Keno’s dad coaching my father, he already knew me,” A.J. Bullard said. “He got in contact with us and came down (to Texas) to watch me play. I fell in love from the moment they started recruiting me. Keno’s dad said I looked just like my father when he was in college. It’s a cool connection that my father played for Keno’s father and now I’m playing for Keno.”

In the summer of 2016, A.J. Bullard had the opportunity to train with Clint Capela, Montrezl Harrell, Sam Decker and others of the Houston Rockets. His father played nine seasons for the Rockets, winning an NBA title in 1994.

“It was eye opening to see how hard those guys work,” A.J. Bullard said. “When you go from college to the NBA, it’s a big step. I learned a lot from those guys.”

In total, Matt Bullard played 11 seasons in the NBA, shooting 38.4 percent from 3-point range and averaging 5.3 points per game.

The NBA lifestyle was pressed on A.J. Bullard from a young age, as he was the ballboy for the Rockets during his childhood. Matt is still involved with the Rockets, providing color commentary for the television broadcasts.

A bone contusion put A.J. Bullard behind the rest of the incoming freshman class over the summer, but Keno Davis still sees a bright future in his freshman forward. However, a redshirt might be the best option for him at this point.

“This year can be beneficial for him to add some strength and get his speed up to the pace of the collegiate level,” Keno Davis said. “The opportunity for a redshirt is a strong one with him. You never want to make a final decision until you get a third through the season and we’re getting close to that point.”

A.J. Bullard has agreed to his coach's plan of giving him a redshirt.

“I think it would be really good for me,” A.J. Bullard said. “I’ll definitely be able to get in the weight room and catch up with what I missed with the injury over the offseason. For the future, redshirting this year will help a lot.”

While the comparison between A.J. Bullard and his father is clear, Keno Davis also parallels him to sophomore forward David DiLeo, as both players can shoot at a high percentage and play excellent defense against sizable opponents.

“He can really stretch the court, but he can defend bigger players,” Keno Davis said. “When you’re able to shoot the ball and have size, there’s a spot for you a lot of places. He’s a guy who we feel can play alongside DiLeo even while he’s here.”

Even though a redshirt seems to be the most likely option for A.J. Bullard, Keno Davis knows he has the skill level to succeed at the college level.

“He has a bright future here,” Keno Davis said. “Winning in the MAC is done with a lot of good fourth and fifth-year players, so that’s what we are trying to build our program to be.”