Senior captain earns Pro Football Focus Second Team All-American honors

fball_rusco-2

Senior defensive lineman Joe Ostman talks to the media during the football conference on Dec. 3 at the Indoor Athletic Center. 

With a 90.1 overall grade, Central Michigan football senior defensive end Joe Ostman earned Pro Football Focus Second Team All-American honors for his defensive success in the 2017 season. 

Ostman, who accepted an invitation to play in the East-West Shrine All-Star Game on Jan. 20 in St. Petersburg, Florida, finished the season with 12 sacks, which ranks third across the nation and is the second most in a season at CMU. 

The native of Mackinaw City leads the nation with 1.20 sacks per game. In CMU history, Ostman’s 26 sacks ranks No. 2 behind Dan Bazuin, who had a program-best 35 sacks and 16 sacks in the 2005 season. 

Bazuin was a three-time First Team All-Mid-American Conference winner and the MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2006. He was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft. 

Other members on the Second Team defense included Bradley Chubb (N.C. State), Ed Oliver (Houston), Vita Vea (Washington), Harrison Phillips (Stanford), David Long Jr. (Western Virginia), T.J. Edwards (Wisconsin), Troy Dye (Oregon), Nick Nelson (Wisconsin), D.J. Reed (Kansas State), Lukas Denis (Boston College) and Natrell Jamerson (Wisconsin). 

Ostman, along with sophomore Sean Bunting, was named to the First Team All-MAC by PFF.