Men's basketball to face Lawrence Tech in final nonconference game

dsc-0280

CMU bench celebrates after a 3-point shot on Dec. 5 in McGuirk Arena. 

After winning against the University of Missouri - Kansas City and Southern Illinois University of Edwardsville last week, the Central Michigan men’s basketball team looks for its third straight victory.

The Chippewas (10-2) cap off the nonconference schedule against Lawrence Tech (1-13) at 7 p.m. on Dec. 29 in McGuirk Arena.

Sophomore forward David DiLeo was named the Mid-American Conference Player of the Week — leading CMU to two wins.

The Iowa native poured in 29 points while adding 15 rebounds for a double-double against UMKC and then followed with a seven point, nine rebound night against SIUE.

“He is a talented player and the effort he brings really matches it,” said head coach Keno Davis. “He can really bring it and we’ve got 10 or 11 other guys that can as well.”

DiLeo averages 13.1 points per game to join senior forward Cecil Williams (14.8 per) and transfer guard Shawn Roundtree (14.6 per) as the only three Chippewas to average double figures in scoring.

While DiLeo earned the honors, the last time out against the Cougars, it was Williams who led the way with 17 points while Roundtree added 13 himself to help the Chippewas improve to a perfect 6-0 at home.

“Even though Cecil is a senior, he’s really doing this for the first time,” Davis said. “He didn’t get much action due to two players who shot the ball a ton last season. He’s been making some great plays and the best is still to come for him. He is someone who wants to continue his basketball career after CMU.” 

Senior guard Josh Kozinski hit four 3-pointers for 12 points against SIUE, tying him for second all-time for 3-pointers in program history with John Simons at 256. Braylon Rayson holds the top spot as of the 2016-17 season when he finished  with 271.

After the game against the Blue Devils, CMU will open MAC play against Ohio on Jan. 2 at 7 p.m. from McGuirk Arena.

Scouting LTU

LTU has not won a game in the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (0-8) and has lost 12 straight games. They are winless on the road this season and in last place for the WHAC.

The Blue Devils are coached by Joshua Pickens who is in his first campaign with LTU. He formerly coached as an assistant for Midland University for two seasons where his teams totaled a 37-24 overall record.

The Blue Devils rank last in scoring offense (64.1 per) and scoring defense (77.2 per) in the WHAC. They come in 10th in the WHAC with a 43.4 field goal percentage and last in field goal percentage defense at 50.5 percent.

Junior guard Devonte Myles leads the team in scoring (17.3) and rebounding (7.4) per game. Fellow junior guard Ty’rese Searles is the only other Blue Devil to average double figures in scoring at 14.3 points per game.