Weekend Recap: Enos eyes U-M; women's basketball, DIII hockey continue hot starts

18483_enosf

Head Coach Dan Enos speaks to players on the sideline during the Chippewas

From a former head coach possibly returning to Michigan, to a dominant performance on the ice, there was no shortage of news surrounding Central Michigan athletics this weekend.

Below are some of the top stories from the past weekend .

Enos eyes Michigan

Former CMU football head coach Dan Enos was rumored to be talking to University of Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh about becoming U-M’s offensive coordinator, per a report by FootballScoop.com. Enos is currently the offensive coordinator at Arkansas.

Enos held a 26-36 record as the head coach of the Chippewas. He has also spent time coaching at Michigan State, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois and Cincinnati.

Eight Straight

On Dec. 9, The women’s basketball defeated Indiana State 77-67 on Dec. 9 for its eighth straight win.

The Chippewas sealed the victory by shooting 18-for-18 from the free throw line.

“We didn’t shoot the ball well today. We shot better from the three than we did from the two,” said head coach Sue Guevara. “But, it’s nice to have that insurance card.”

ISU made a comeback late in the game when CMU led by 22 points. Indiana State outscored the Chippewas 43-35 in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to take the lead.

CMU out-rebounded ISU 42-31. Junior forward Reyna Frost corralled 14 rebounds in the Chippewas’ eighth straight win.

Six of the Chippewas’ 11 made 3-pointers came from junior guard Presley Hudson. She finished with a game-high 26 points and dished out six assists.

Ahead of the break during finals week, Guevara stressed the importance of being a student athlete.

“Right now they need to focus on the academics,” Guevara said. “We’re really going to hone in on this defense too, we have to be much better than we are.”

DIII Hockey

No. 2 ranked Division III hockey earned two dominant wins over Davenport on Friday and Saturday. The Chippewas now hold a 21-4 record after taking the first game 18-0 and winning the Saturday game, 16-1.

“I thought we played good hockey,” hockey head coach James Cadzow said. “Communication was sound, our passing was sound, we did a great job moving the puck and we fought. It should’ve been a lot worse (for Davenport).”

Junior forward Dalton Sutherland finished the weekend with six goals and four assists in two games for the Chippewas.

“We have to keep doing the little things right if we want to keep winning,” Sutherland said after the first win. “(And) we can’t get too comfortable with it. That’s when you lose.”

Wrestling Woes

CMU wrestling lost its second dual meet of the 2017-18 season to South Dakota State 23-16 on Friday.

The Chippewas mourned the loss of senior 157-pound wrestler Colin Heffernan, who injured his shoulder in the Cliff Keen Invitational earlier this season. Heffernan was ranked No. 16 in his weight class, according to InterMat.

Mason Smith, Justin Oliver, Logan Parks and Jordan Ellingwood all earned individual wins for the Chippewas. Smith is ranked No. 2 in the Mid-American Conference with a 4-1 record.