Five MAC teams recieve bowl invites, Western Michigan and Buffalo left out

western3
Sophomore running back Jonathan Ward gets pushed out of bounds during the game against Western Michigan on Nov. 1 in Waldo Stadium.

As five Mid-American Conference teams found out where their bowl game destinations would be, Buffalo and Western Michigan were left without an invitation.

WMU competed in the Cotton Bowl last season, but failed to reach a bowl in 2017.

WMU and Buffalo finished with 6-6 overall records — so they were eligible for a bowl bid. 

Here is a list of the five MAC teams that will appear in a bowl game:

Idaho Potato Bowl, Friday, Dec. 22 at 4 p.m. — Central Michigan vs. Wyoming

Quick Lane Bowl, Tuesday, Dec. 26 at 5:15 p.m. — Northern Illinois vs. Duke

Boca Raton Bowl, Tuesday, Dec. 19 at 7 p.m. — Akron vs. Florida Atlantic University

Bahamas Bowl, Friday, Dec. 22 at 12:30 p.m. — Ohio vs. University of Alabama at Birmingham

Dollar General Bowl, Saturday, Dec. 23 at 7 p.m. — Toledo vs. Appalachian State

This is the first time the Broncos have missed a bowl game since 2013 when they went 1-11 in former head coach P.J. Fleck’s first season in Kalamazoo.

In 2016, the Broncos finished with a 13-1 overall record. Last season included a visit from ESPN’s College Gameday, a MAC title and a trip to the Goodyear Cotton Bowl which they lost to Wisconsin.

WMU was winning 28-14 at Waldo Stadium on Nov. 1 when it allowed CMU to score 21 straight points. CMU earned a 35-28 victory.

The Chippewas went on to win their final three games of the season, adding up to a five game streak. The Broncos lost two of their last three games.