Quick Recap: Gov. Rick Snyder delivers final State of the State Address

stateofthestate02
Governor Rick Snyder delivers his final State of the State address on Jan. 23 in the Michigan State Capitol building.

LANSING — Gov. Rick Snyder did not specifically discuss higher education funding at his final State of the State Address on Jan. 23 at the Michigan Capitol Building.

In his 53-minute address, Snyder highlighted Michigan's comeback achievements since he took office in 2011. He focused his comments on the future with efforts to improve education, job specific talents, infrastructure and other issues.

The governor listed sexual assault on college campuses as one of the state's major issues. He said Michigan in recent years has raised $1.6 million in grants to help with education on the topic and support those who have been affected. He also mentioned the Larry Nassar case – the former Michigan State University doctor accused of sexually assaulting more than 100 female athletes. 

Looking ahead, Snyder said Michigan looks to focus on initiatives like quality of life and mobility, talents in the skill trades, education, infrastructure and civility.

While Snyder did not touch on higher education funding, he discussed programs in the K-12 education system and the importance of skilled trades.

The groundbreaking for the Gordie Howe International Bridge, connecting Detroit to Canada, is expected to take place later this year.

Snyder said for the first time since the turn of the century, more people have moved into the state than left it. There have been 540,000 private sector jobs created in Michigan since December 2010. Snyder said Michigan is No. 6 in the nation in that category.

The governor thanked the Michigan State Police for the MSP Angel Program, which allows those struggling with drug addiction to meet with officers. The program was created in the hopes to help combat opioid addiction in Michigan.

Near the beginning of the speech, Snyder held up two Wall Street Journal articles: one from 2009 titled "The state of joblessness" and a September 2017 story titled "The Michigan Comeback Story."

"Let’s make the positive progress from the last few years continue into the next few decades," Snyder said in his closing remarks. "Michigan is a far better state today than in 2010."

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →