Baseball goes winless in weekend trip to New Mexico

35193_jab_4780f
Head coach Steve Jaska paces the dugout during the Clash at Comerica on April 18 at Comerica Park.

Despite the 2-2 start in their opening weekend of play against Stephen F. Austin and Texas Rio-Grande Valley, the Central Michigan baseball team failed to record a single win over a four-game road stretch at New Mexico.

CMU finished 0-3-1 on the weekend and fall to 2-5 on the season after the trip out to Albuquerque from February 22-25.

Game One: New Mexico 20, CMU 9

A nine-run first inning for the Lobos proved too much for the Chippewas as junior Michael Brettell picked up his first loss of the season. Brettell pitched two innings while allowing 12 hits for 12 runs.

A seven-run fourth inning cut CMU's deficit to four, the smallest lead of the game for New Mexico. However, the Lobos managed to outscore CMU in the remaining innings, 8-1, to seal the win. 

CMU was out-hit by New Mexico, 19-10, and junior Evan Kratt lead the Chippewas with three hits, two runs and two RBIs.

Game Two: New Mexico 6, CMU 0

New Mexico continued it's dominance over CMU, holding the Chippewas to zero runs. The loss marked the first time CMU has been shutout this season.

Sophomore Tyler Hankins got his first start of the season and was credited the loss (0-1). Hankins pitched three scoreless innings before giving up three runs in the fourth. He finished his outing with 5.1 innings, allowing nine hits for five runs and stuck out seven.

Four Chippewa batters were left on base in game two as CMU recorded just four hits.

Game Three: New Mexico 8, CMU 7

In one of the more competitive contests of the weekend, CMU out-hit New Mexico 13-11 in a one-run loss.

Junior Pat Leatherman (0-2) pitched 4.2 innings, allowing for six runs (four earned) off eight hits. He earned six strikeouts. 

CMU entered the eighth inning down 8-2 and made a five run rally cutting the deficit to one before closing out the ninth inning scoreless. Kratt lead the way for CMU with three hits, two runs followed by sophomore Zach Gilles with two his and one RBI.

Game Four: New Mexico 6, CMU 6

After nine innings, the fourth and final game in Albuquerque was cut short due to CMU's flight schedule. Despite being tied, the game ended in a draw.

CMU out-hit New Mexico for the second straight day 11-8, as junior Daniel Robinson led CMU with four hits in five at-bats. Robinson scored two runs and drove in one. 

Sophomore Zach Kohn got the start for the Chippewas, pitching five innings and allowing three runs (two earned) off five hits. Junior Dazon Cole later took over on the mound, pitching four innings. Cole allowed three runs off three hits.

Up next

CMU travels to Deland, Florida for the Stetson Invitational from March 3-5. The Chippewas open the invitational against Purdue (6-1), followed by host Stetson (6-1) and finish against Virginia Tech (2-5).