Mount Pleasant residents gather to celebrate town's history, preservation

valerie-wolters

Valerie Wolters, coordinator of the Ganiard History Project, sets up a photograph at Isabella County's 159th Founders' Day on Feb. 10 at First Methodist Church.

Mount Pleasant natives and residents of Isabella County gathered Feb. 10 to celebrate and educate themselves about Mount Pleasant's history during the annual Founders Day event.

Jay Martin, director of the Museum of Cultural and Natural History at Central Michigan University, said Founders Day is an "event the historical society developed to try and celebrate local history."

"This is the first event where we have been able to actually bring in a wider group of people displaying things from different communities in the county," Martin said. 

Events took place at the First United Methodist Church in Downtown Mount Pleasant.

Martin explained how the Isabella County Historical Society was originally called the Mount Pleasant Area Historical Society before the changes were made to the name last year. The benefits of being more inclusive to outside communities include not only richer knowledge of the past, but a way to collaborate with people who can help teach it to others, Martin said.

"All you have to do is love history" Martin said when asked about who could participate.

Recipients of the John Cumming Historical Preservation awards and the winners of the quilt show were announced at the event by Jay Martin and Valerie Wolters.

The building that once made Transport Trucks is now known as the Commerce Center. Samuel Staples, a winner of the John Cumming award, owns the center and has worked diligently to maintain the architecture that was part of the manufacturing company prior. Staples also purchased and restored one of the three known transport trucks left, and donated it to the CMU Museum of Cultural and Natural History.

The other winner of the John Cumming Historical Preservation award, Judith Welch, recorded articles, pictures and information regarding the company and made it into a booklet, which she also donated. 

"Both of these individuals have played an important role this last year in preserving the history of the Transport Truck company" said Martin during his announcement. 

After announcing the winners of the John Cumming awards, Wolters then announced her sister-in-law, Barbara Simmons Smith, won first place for her quilt highlighting the beauty of the outdoors. In total, 44 quilts were registered for the event. 

"I think it's very symbolic of the people." said Ashley Blackburn, a 21-year-old Public History major at CMU, in reference to the quilt show. "They bring them back every year, and they know the history of these blankets hold so much."

Events started at 8 a.m. in the lower level of First United Methodist Church, with Chris Cakes catering to those who attended. Trevor Muir, also known as "nut-cake," said he has been serving pancakes at Founders Day for 11 years.

Muir said Founders Day is an event he enjoys working because "it's for the veterans and the people who started it all."

After eating breakfast, participants were able to examine multiple displays honoring centennial farms as well as those who served our country. 

Displays included swords from the civil war, gear worn by soldiers during battle, war-time comics as well as photographs of veterans from Isabella County. Samuel Staples, a veteran himself, displayed a sword and sash passed down from his great-grandfather Elbridge Staples, who fought for the confederate army during the civil war.

"I served 20 years in the navy, so I'm proud to do anything that's military associated" Staples said. 

Although he has participated in Founders Day prior to this year, this was his first time displaying his great-grandfather's sword. Staples said this year's Founders Day placed more importance on veterans specifically, so he was eager to share his family's prized possession. 

The Genealogical Society of Isabella County displayed a long-term project honoring family lineage and the farming culture of Mount Pleasant as well.

Kandi Haskell, Treasurer of the Genealogical Society, said the society has been working since last May to locate and collect stories of centennial farms, that have been within families for over 100 years. 

The pictures and stories of centennial farms were shared on displays Haskell built with the help of her husband, Pete.

"Every family told their own story" Haskell said.