Fourth Annual Sigma Freeze charity hockey game to start Feb. 16

19293_logot

Four Central Michigan University fraternities will battle on the ice to raise money for cancer research at the fourth annual Sigma Freeze charity hockey event Feb. 16.

Sigma Chi, Phi Sigma Phi, Kappa Sigma and Sigma Pi will be competing in a hockey tournament at Mount Pleasant Ice Arena, as well as hosting a broomball tournament for CMU sororities at Finch Fieldhouse. 

The first game, hosted by Sigma Chi, will start 5 p.m. Feb. 16 at Mount Pleasant Ice Arena, where Phi Sigma Phi will compete against Kappa Sigma. The second game will start at 7 p.m. between Sigma Chi and Sigma Pi. The winners of both games will compete in a final game that will take place Feb. 17 at 7 p.m.

A broomball tournament between CMU's 11 sororities will take place at Finch Fieldhouse at 11 a.m. on Feb. 17 as well.

"Why not bring a pretty popular sport, not something we have (intramural sports) in, and make a charity hockey event out of it?" said junior Joe Moran of Sigma Pi, who has helped coordinate the event since August 2017. "It gets everyone to come together for one specific cause. It incorporates every single organization on campus as far as Greek Life goes."

A wristband package is available for $15 through the fraternities hosting the event and tickets will be sold at the door for $6 per event. Tickets are not available for online purchase.

Last year, Sigma Chi with the help of other fraternities on campus were able to raise $45,000 and are projecting even higher numbers for this year, according to Patrick Holder of Sigma Chi, a CMU junior from Woodhaven who is also responsible for coordinating the event.

Money is being raised through ticket sales, jersey sales from players and a 50/50 raffle that will take place during the event, Holder said.

Proceeds from the event will be going towards cancer research at the Huntsman Institute of Cancer Research located in Salt Lake City, Utah. The research center is located next to Sigma Chi headquarters. 

Every Sigma Chi chapter in the nation donates to the Huntsman Institute, Holder said.

"We want to be the generation to end cancer," Holder said. "If you can do something that's fun and bring people together for a good cause, then it's the best way you can go."