Co-founding director of Classy Little Fashions Foundation emphasizes taking the road less traveled

k6a0067
Jane Hash talks about Classy Little Fashions in Charles V Park Library auditorium March 15

Jane Hash, co-founding director of Classy Little Fashions Foundation, discussed how taking the road less traveled impacted her life significantly in a speech March 15 in the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium.

Hash was born with Osteogenesis Imperfecta, which affects bone strength and formation. This left her in a wheelchair since she was a child, Hash said.

She was also raised by a single mother with four other siblings, she said. Early on, she learned she had to fight to be heard in order to make a difference. 

Hash carried this sense of fight with her to become a healthcare advocate, a public speaker, a model and the co-founder of Classy Little Fashion Foundation. 

"(I feel) like I’m the only person who decided to take the path that I’ve taken," Hash said. "I’m the only person with my unique set of circumstances that has made the choices I have made.”

Growing up Hash always struggled to find clothing that was suiting to her body style, and this only became more infuriating as she reached teenage and adult ages, she said.

As she got older, Hash said she felt uncomfortable in clothing for kids because it didn’t fit properly around the chest or waist. In contrast, adult clothing was much too large on her, leaving shirts to slide off her shoulders. 

“Shopping for clothes was not a good time for me. It was depressing,” said Hash. “I could never find anything to fit me appropriately.”

Clothing transferred over into her work life, too. Hash greatly expressed in a speech how much people judge based on clothing. No one took her seriously when she got up in front of an auditorium and tried to speak when her clothing was not appropriate. 

That’s when Hash discovered groups that were “clothing optional.” She no longer felt judged on her appearance because she didn’t have to wear clothes. She knew she couldn’t live like this forever, though.

All of Hash’s clothing worries came to an end when she met Carol E. Briney, the other co-founder in Classy Little Fashions. Briney messaged Hash on Facebook and asked if she could make clothes for Hash.

Hash said she was pleased with Briney’s designs. 

“Now that I can go anywhere and be dressed appropriately, it has changed my life,” Hash said. 

Through this exchange stemmed a partnership that would lead to Classy Little Fashions. 

With the foundation, Hash wanted to allow other with disabilities similar to hers to feel as if they can dress appropriately for a job and be taken seriously. The company also offers body image counseling to help clients feel attractive and confident.

The foundation works to make appropriate clothes for individuals who are pursuing a job or professional education and are above the age of 18. Right now, it is working with three different clients.

Hash said she is proud of all she has accomplished with the foundation. 

“When I say fashion has changed my life, that’s putting it mildly,” she said.  

Not only has Hash started the foundation, but she has worked as a health care advocate for people with disabilities and has spoken in front of many groups of legislators and has starred in her own documentary, directed by Tom Trainer, called “Plain Jane: The Shockumentary.” 

Hash also spends time speaking to all different types of people, including those in prison and students on different campuses, and modeling as a mermaid, she said. 

“Every time I’m on camera or on TV, I’m not just representing me,” Hash said. “I’m representing the community of people with disabilities, and I’m going to do it the best.” 

Those wishing to donate toward Classy Little Fashions can visit its website.