OPINION: Even though it's still going, women's basketball's season has been special

dylangoetzmug

Dylan Goetz

There’s something special about this year’s Central Michigan women’s basketball team. 

The Chippewas just beat No. 6 LSU in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on March 17. Like other games this season — the Chippewas got out to an early lead in the first quarter, and held on throughout the rest of the game to secure a win. 

But, it is hard to tell exactly what makes them so good. 

It could be the most lethal starting five head coach Sue Guevara has ever assembled on a basketball court. 

Central Michigan Womens basketball team cheers after defeating Louisiana State University 78-69 on March 17 at St. John Arena. 

It could be the fact that the team is destined for greatness in their 50th anniversary season, or senior forward Tinara Moore, who uses her size, rebounding ability and post moves to score at will. Moore was held to zero points in the first half of the MAC Championship. The reigning Mid-American Conference Player of the Year finished with 17 points. She scored on back-to-back possessions twice in the final six minutes and 30 seconds of the Championship game. 

In the NCAA first round, Moore scored 25 points and it seemed that nobody on the Tigers could defend her. Moore owned the paint with sublime footwork and spin moves. She was unstoppable. 

It could be Sue Guevara’s excellent coaching, which has transcended expectations, or Micaela Kelly, who fits as the missing piece in the starting five after a disappointment in the quarterfinal round of the MAC Tournament against Western Michigan last season. 

Kelly, known for her driving ability, contradicted everyone’s scouting reports by going 5-of-6 from 3-point range in the MAC Championship game on her way to a career-high 26 points in one of the most important games of her collegiate career. 

She was well aware of her performance, too. 

“Yeah, but I think I’m just a box that has yet to be opened,” Kelly said, after being asked if she thinks the MAC Championship 26-point game was her best performance at CMU. 

Redshirt freshman guard Micaela Kelly dribbles the ball during the basketball game against Louisiana State University on March 17 at St. John Arena. 

It could be Presley Hudson, who Guevara calls “the little engine that makes the train go.” Hudson averages over 35 minutes per game and provides plenty of energy during the huddles. Her ball control is unmatchable, and she can get her shot off in front of anybody. 

Anyway, this Chippewa squad is different. 

The Chippewas have made history by becoming the first CMU women’s basketball team to win a game in the NCAA Tournament. Now, the team is advancing to the second round of the tournament to play in Columbus again on March 19.  

Don't be surprised if the Chippewas move on to the Sweet 16.