2019 QB Daniel Richardson commits to Central Michigan

fullsizerender-2
Central Michigan 2019 quarterback commit takes a picture with head caoch Jim McElwain at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. (Photo Credit: Daniel Richardson / Twitter)

During its 1-11 season in 2018, Central Michigan's quarterbacks completed 48.6 percent of passes for 1,585 yards, nine touchdowns and 18 interceptions. 

On Dec. 11, the Chippewas picked up a graduate transfer quarterback in Quinten Dormandy from Houston. Just five days later, on Dec. 17, coach Jim McElwain added 2019 three-star dual-threat quarterback Daniel Richardson.

Richardson, from Miami Carol City High School in Hollywood, Florida, picked CMU over FIU, Florida Atlantic, Toledo and UAB. He took an official visit to CMU on Dec. 15 and committed just two days later. 

He will enroll early and begin attending classes on Jan. 7.

CMU's newest commit profiles as a pass-first quarterback, but is athletic enough to buy time in the pocket and scramble for positive yards with his legs. Many say his game management abilities are exquisite for his age.

The 5-foot-11, 198-pound quarterback is ranked No. 2,074 in the 2019 class, No. 49 at the dual-threat quarterback position and No. 273 in Florida, per the 247Sports Composite. 

McElwain recently added Stephen F. Austin assistant Kevin Barbay as his new quarterbacks coach. Prior to SFA, Barbay spent time at Florida, Colorado State, Lamar University and Monsignor Kelly Catholic High School.

Dequan Finn, a three-star quarterback from Martin Luther King High School in Detroit, flipped his commitment from CMU to Toledo on Nov. 30 – just one week after John Bonamego was fired as head coach of the Chippewas. 

Finn threw for 2,104 yards and 25 touchdowns as a senior in 2018. He added 1,264 rushing yards for 21 touchdowns to total 46 offensive scores. He was the 2018 Mr. Football winner in the state of Michigan.

Dormandy, a 6-foot-4, 222-pound pro-style signal caller, played in 14 college football games, completing 102-of-181 passes for 1,290 yards, seven touchdowns and six interceptions. He is considered the favorite to start in 2019.

Coming out of high school in the 2015 class, Dormady was a four-star quarterback prospect, rated No. 271 in the nation, No. 11 at the pro-style position and No. 40 in the state of Texas, per the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Another potential quarterback option is former Michigan State, current East Mississippi Community College quarterback Messiah deWeaver, who would be immediately eligible for the Chippewas.

"Great hire," deWeaver said when CMU added McElwain. "He’s a great coach. Everywhere I’ve been and played, I’ve won. I can be the guy. I’m just a proven winner."