Jim McElwain discusses quarterbacks, other position groups standing out

Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain talks with the media at Turf Bay in the Indoor Athletic Complex on April 9 for the first time since his introductary press conference in early Decemember.

Jim McElwain doesn't like to single out players.

He also doesn't like to set a projected depth chart during spring practice.

However, McElwain is excited about what the Central Michigan football position groups have brought to the table.

In the 2018 season, which ended in a 1-11 record under former coach John Bonamego, the Chippewas had the worst offensive production of any team in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision.

The journey for improvement starts with leadership at the quarterback position, something McElwain looks for in his signal caller.

McElwain's scholarship quarterbacks are graduate transfer Quinten Dormady, senior Tommy Lazzaro, junior David Moore, redshirt sophomore Austin Hergott, redshirt freshman George Pearson and true freshman Daniel Richardson.

"Here's the great thing, we've got a bunch of candidates," McElwain said. "I love it. We've got some guys that are really competing. Seeing where they move the team is really where it's at right now. All the guys have had their moments learning a new system and showing command in the huddle and the different things it does to lead a team.

"Here's the thing that's more than satisfying, it's exciting – we've got some guys that can play."

Tommy Lazzaro: As a junior in 2018, Lazzaro took over as the starter three games into the season. In his first appearance, he nearly led a comeback win against Northern Illinois. Throughout the next six games, the signal caller showed promise before going down with an injury in a loss to Western Michigan. 

Lazzaro completed 68-of-141 passes for 711 yards, five touchdowns and 10 interceptions in his first season on the field for a Division I football team.

Quinten Dormady: Dormady is a veteran to college football but a newbie to the Chippewas. He began the 2017 season as Tennessee's starter before a shoulder injury that required surgery stopped his season short.

In his first career start for the Volunteers in 2017, Dormady led his crew to a 42-41 double-overtime win over Georgia Tech. He tossed for 221 yards and two touchdowns. Dormady is a rare double-graduate transfer, as he was unable to play due to medical reasons in 2018 for Houston.

Through 14 college football games, the 6-foot-4, 222-pound quarterback completed 102-of-181 passes for 1,290 yards, seven touchdowns and six interceptions.

David Moore: Once a Memphis quarterback for two seasons, Moore comes to the Chippewas from Garden City Community College (JUCO). In the 2018 campaign for the Broncbusters, Moore threw for 837 yards, four touchdowns and four interceptions.

In an interview with Central Michigan Life, Moore said he hopes to get back to "taking deep shots" and running the football like the 6-foot-2, 180-pound athlete used to at Milton High School and Memphis.

George Pearson: His first college throw was one he likely one he wants back – an interception. However, one pass doesn't define a quarterback, and Pearson has four full years of eligibility to make a name for himself at CMU.

Pearson, a 6-foot-1, 213-pound quarterback, played during a majority of CMU's 51-13 loss to Toledo on Nov. 23 in the season finale. He completed 12-of-24 passes for 94 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Daniel Richardson: The youngster hasn't taken a single snap at the college level, but the 5-foot-9, 205-pound true freshman got to campus as an early enrollee to learn the playbook, workout and build camaraderie with fellow players.

A three-star quarterback graduate from Miami Carol City High School, Richardson compiled the Miami-Dade County career passing record for yards (9,791) and touchdowns (116) during his four years on varsity.

Austin Hergott: While Hergott wasn't expected to play much in the 2018 season, he ended up appearing in three games and starting two of them due to Lazzaro's injury. The 6-foot-3, 233 pounder completed 19-of-45 passes for 155 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.

"They've all approached the game in practice to get better, and that's what I like about all of them," McElwain said.

McElwain joked with the media that he wishes he could suit up offensive coordinator Charlie Frye, who once completed 27-of-34 passes for 416 yards and two touchdowns against the Chippewas at Kelly/Shorts Stadium as Akron's quarterback in 2003.

"He had a pretty good day in this stadium one time," McElwain said. "If we can do that, we'll be all right."

Two other offensive position groups McElwain spoke highly of were the running backs and tight ends. The tight ends are comprised of junior Tony Poljan, sophomore Keegan Cossou, sophomore Bernhard Raimann and redshirt freshman Joel Wilson.

"On our offense, you've got to love running backs and tight ends room. Those are two real bonuses," McElwain said. "We are a little short on the offensive line, working with eight. Those guys have been taking a lot of reps but are working their tails off.

"I'd have to say those were the groups that have really stood out."

The running backs are expected to be led by senior Jonathan Ward. He produced 1,494 yards from scrimmage and 13 touchdowns in 2017 but struggled last time out with just one rushing score and 212 yards in nine games.

Ward hopes to get back to his ways of 2017, and McElwain made sure to give him a clean slate due to the new coaching staff.

So far, Ward has done nothing but impress CMU's first-year coach.

"He's been one of the guys that's had an unbelievable spring," McElwain said. "He (just) got an academic award. I've been really happy with his approach. He makes us better when he's right."

On the defensive side of the ball, McElwain mentioned just one position group that was making the greatest on-field impact.

"We've got great leadership in some spots," McElwain said. "I'm really happy with the safeties right now, and the way they've been attacked it and helped get people aligned on the defense."

Senior Da'Quaun Jamison, junior Alonzo McCoy, junior Gage Kreski and sophomore Devonni Reed received plenty of playing time at safety in 2018, and others are likely to emerge this fall.

McElwain said the most imperative change for the program was the offseason winter conditioning program. It challenged the players to work on their bodies, eating habits and overall focus.

"We've had some guys not only maintain but actually get some weight gain, the right kind of gain," McElwain said. "We've got to continue that through the summer and see where we will be in the fall."

Even though McElwain isn't the type of coach to separate one player from another in spring practice, he has noticed a fruitful growth. He wants to find his leaders on the team, which could come from anywhere.

"Leaders can come from anywhere," he said. "You can be a freshman; you can be a senior. You can be a starter; you can be a backup."