'They didn’t see me playing': Cornerback Randall Harris enters NCAA transfer portal after conversations with coaches

Central Michigan defensive back Randall Harris warms up prior to playing against Maine on Sept. 22 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Randall Harris grew up with the dream of playing football at the college level.

The key word there is playing – Harris said he wasn't going to get much of it on Central Michigan's football team, according to his conversations with coach Jim McElwain, defensive coordinator Robb Akey and cornerbacks coach David Rowe.

Harris has officially entered his name in the NCAA transfer portal and is actively looking for a new home to get on the gridiron.

"It was obvious they didn’t see me playing at Central Michigan and thought it was in my best interest to enter the transfer portal," Harris said. "It took me by surprise because players around me and I thought I was having a decent offseason, but coaches have the best eye."

Reflecting on his meeting with McElwain, Harris said the first-year coach kept things "blunt" and "very short" when speaking to the redshirt freshman cornerback. However, he made it clear Harris was not in any future plans for the Chippewas.

Even though McElwain encouraged Harris to leave the program, he offered up his services to help him find a new team.

"I was told more times than I can tell you, 'It’s a business, not personal,'" Harris said. "(McElwain) did also say how the choice was mine, but it was obvious where he stood with me."

Entering the portal does not always mean a player is guaranteed to transfer. It just gives them an option to look elsewhere, so other programs are now allowed to contact Harris. With this new model, players no longer need to request permission from their current programs to check out other schools.

But from Harris' conversations with McElwain, Akey and Rowe, he's likely long gone.

Harris was recruited as a member of former coach John Bonamego's 2018 class. As a senior at Walled Lake Western High School in 2017, he recorded 55 tackles, 21 passes defended and two interceptions. He was a three-star prospect and also had a scholarship offer from Air Force.

Being with Bonamego's staff and his teammates made him feel like part of a family, something that was bigger than just one person.

"There was no better feeling than waking up at the crack of dawn to grind with your brothers and leaving the indoor field when the street lights were on," Harris said.

He did not play as a freshman in 2018 and took a redshirt to ensure an extra year of eligibility. If Harris transfers to a Division I program, he will be forced to sit out the 2019 season due to NCAA transfer rules. If he goes to a Division II or JUCO, the option to play immediately will be available.

Nevertheless, Harris isn't fully concerned about sitting out or playing immediately. He wants to find a place where he's comfortable on campus, has trust in the coaches to invest in him and gets a fair opportunity to get on the field. He has visits set for the upcoming weeks and wants to make his transfer official sooner than later.

"I have interest in a few schools, and a few schools have shown interest in me," Harris said. I’m not going to go into specifics because I’m interested in all schools that are interested in me. Summer (football) camp is coming up very soon. I want to make the right decision, but I also know I’m on a tight time schedule."

Harris' message to other NCAA coaches interested in him is that he's coachable. He wants to learn and realizes listening to the higher ups in the program is where it all begins. The 6-foot, 187-pound cornerback also believes he is a grinder in the weight room, on the practice field and in meetings. 

"A strength of mine is showing rather than telling," Harris said. "I tend to stay quiet because the quieter you are, the more you can hear. I can lead by example."

Central Michigan has now lost six players since Bonamego departed to the transfer portal: defensive end Mike Danna (Michigan); wide receiver Julian Hicks (Akron); defensive lineman Dante Cleveland; linebacker Carlton Cleophat; offensive lineman Shawn Wiley; and Harris.