COLUMN: Field hockey begins to show prosperity in Catherine Ostoich's second year

cmuvslongwood-10
Head coach Catherine Ostoich shouts orders at her players from the sideline on Sept. 15 at the Field Hockey Complex.

The Central Michigan field hockey team has gotten off to an incredible start. Just a 2-0 record is the best the Chippewas have opened the season since 2013. 

As someone who has had the opportunity to watch the first two matches, it has been fun to see such a change since last season. 

The team has as many wins this season as it did throughout the entire 2018 campaign.

What has caused such a major shift?

Let’s start with the obvious. The offense is much more aggressive, which is in line with the vision second-year coach Catherine Ostoich had for the program when she took over following the firing of former coach Molly Pelowski. 

It took a year, but development is finally becoming visible.

The Chippewas have gotten double-digit shots in both games this season. Last season that happened only once. With more shots and shots on goal, the likelihood a team scores skyrockets. I know that might seem redundant, but it was not something that the Chippewas were good at last year.

You can see the confidence the offense has when they’ve got possession, and there are a variety of players that Ostoich rotates in that make plays. 

Among those players are familiar names like senior Georgina Minta and redshirt junior Samantha Glapinski. Glapinski has two goals so far this season, half of her 2018 total. Minta has not scored, but she has been the captain for both games of the season and her leadership shows. 

Those veteran players finally feel comfortable in Ostoich’s system. However, it isn’t just veterans buying into the second year coaches system, it is the performance of freshmen that have made a difference. 

Senior midfielder Georgina Minta fires a pass during the CMU field hockey game against Saint Louis at the CMU Field Hockey Complex on Sept. 2.

Alice O’Hagan has three goals in her first two collegiate games. She scored on her first-ever touch and has talent, confidence and trusts her teammates. As the season goes on, O’Hagan could cement herself as one of the Chippewas' best players and leaders for years to come.

Another freshman that has helped breathe life into the program is Neve Dibley. She had two goals in the first game and is usually one of the first subs off the bench. She has energy and always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

One of the biggest improvements for this year's team is that it isn’t just a handful of names making plays. Not everyone can get credit for every goal, but it truly seems like a team effort. Players all over the field are making the right pass and, in the words of Ostoich, “taking advantage of opportunities." The defense has also been superb.

Despite all of that, the team is not perfect. 

Nothing against Colgate or Saint Louis, but those won’t be the toughest tests of the season for CMU. There are still things that could improve. Plays are sometimes missed and a few lucky breaks have ended what could have been scoring opportunities for their opponents.

This team is fun to watch, even if you’re not a field hockey expert. While their reputation of winning is not great, this is a different team – an aggressive and offensively driven squad. The excitement and camaraderie on the sideline and post-game are clear.

Winning makes it more enjoyable, and Central Michigan is carrying that joy onto the field. 

With so much more time to grow and learn throughout the season, as long as they continue to play with that energy and excitement, this will be a much better campaign than in recent history.