Jonathan Ward desires special season as senior, and he's making the most of it

centralmichiganfootballoct5-2

Central Michigan running back Jonathan Ward drags a Eastern Michigan defender for a couple extra yards Oct. 5 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Of the six Central Michigan football games this season, Jonathan Ward has played just three from start to finish.

An injury derailed the senior running back from participating in the others. 

But when Ward is healthy enough to get on the field, he makes the most of his opportunity.

In those three games he's played in full, the numbers are eye-popping.

Ward wants his senior year to be special, and he's in the process of making it one to remember – with a little help from first-year coach Jim McElwain.

"Being able to come in and turn the program around, from where we were last year to now, is some incredible stuff," Ward said of his coach.

Ward registered 211 total yards in a season-opening 38-21 win against Albany (Aug. 29), 128 yards against Western Michigan (Sept. 28) and, now, 205 yards against Eastern Michigan in a 42-16 victory on Oct. 5 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

That's 544 yards in three full games, an average of 181.3 yards per contest.

"This guy's toughness is unquestioned," McElwain said. "It's so important to him, this football team, and I think it shows."

The 2019 season is Ward's last with the Chippewas, so he wants a memorable campaign – something he'll never forget. 

“The motivation comes from my teammates, just knowing that they are relying on me and I’m relying on them," Ward said. "I just want to be able to give everything I have."

The only other game Ward played in was a Sept. 7 matchup against Wisconsin. While the game ended 61-0 in favor of the Badgers, Ward only took one carry for 3 yards before sustaining a right shoulder injury.

It was the same injury that held Ward out from games against Akron and Miami on Sept. 14 and Sept. 21, respectively.

When the Sept. 28 game against the arch-rival Broncos came around, Ward could've taken another week to get healthy. Instead, he suited up, practiced throughout the week, took the field and logged 128 total yards on offense.

“To me, the Western Michigan game is the biggest on our schedule every year," Ward said. "I had to give my all to go out there for my team.”

Before Ward's return, the starting running back role was handed directly to sophomore Kobe Lewis. He had never started a game to that point in his career.

Ward had to be a leader, even with a sling on his right arm to protect his injured shoulder.

"I was on him for watching film and making sure he was going to get the job done," Ward said. "I’m proud of him. He did what he had to do. I couldn’t be there physically, but I was there mentally to help them prepare.”

As for that connection between Ward and Lewis, both running backs were behind the line of scrimmage before Ward's 86-yard touchdown run against Eastern Michigan.

The offensive line opened a hole, and Ward didn't stop running. 

“It’s been a minute since I had that much open field," he said, laughing.

There was an adrenaline rush for about six seconds. Ward recalled asking himself, "Oh, wow, this is really the play?" He shook that question off and kept running.

With each step, there was less grass in front of him – and the ruins of the old locker room in the north end zone were getting closer and closer. 

Touchdown.

Ward's 86-yard carry to the end zone put the Chippewas ahead, 35-10, with 45 seconds left in the third quarter. Ultimately, those six points put the stamp on the win over Eagles.

"We knew this week had to be a statement game," Ward said. "Coach Mac always says we have to protect our house, and we knew Eastern was a good team."

He scored two other times – on a 3-yard carry to open the scoring in the first quarter and on a 64-yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback David Moore five minutes into the second stanza.

“I’m happy for Ward, anytime he’s on the field," said senior safety Da'Quaun Jamison. "He’s like a brother to me. Ward has that dog mentality, so I love seeing that out there."

Ward has accounted for 556 total yards and five touchdowns in just three complete games (and the first drive against Wisconsin) in the 2019 season.

He averages 7.4 yards per carry and 17.3 yards per reception, and he hasn't fumbled the ball since Week 1.

Ward wants this final go-around to be exceptional, and he's in currently the process of making it that way.

After all, regardless of what happens, he is already headed in the right direction.

Ward has six more guaranteed games to enjoy it, make a statement and continue striving for what's already becoming a special season.

"I'm just so glad he's with us for the long ride," McElwain said, smiling.