'Ring of Fire': How thoughts of Johnny Cash pushed Central Michigan to comeback victory

lrm-export-322260717017593-20191019-214130624

Central Michigan defensive backs Da'Quaun Jamison (6) and Demarcus Governor (26) celebrate after an interception against Bowling Green Oct. 19 at Doyt L. Perry Stadium in Bowling Green.

First-year coach Jim McElwain opened up practice to the public on April 13.

Many came to see the new coach who had spent time at Florida, others came to get a look at the newcomers, and some simply came for the food or to enjoy time with friends.

What nobody noticed was the tune booming from the speakers within the stadium as the 2019 Chippewas entered the final stage of their open practice. 

"We practice something called the Ring of Fire," said junior linebacker Troy Brown after the game. "Our fourth quarter is so intense."

Little did fans know that Johnny Cash's 1963 hit song "Ring of Fire" was becoming a mantra within the Central Michigan locker room. 

The mantra was tested on Nov. 16 at Scheumann Stadium in Muncie, Indiana. 

Trailing Ball State 41-31, the Chippewas entered the fourth quarter desperate to hold on to what was left of the Mid-American Conference championship hopes.

"I don't even know who sings the song," Brown added. 

It started with a forced punt, as Ball State quarterback Drew Plitt missed his receiver on a third down to open the fourth quarter. 

Central Michigan capitalized on the opportunity, going 56 yards in five plays to cut its deficit to two points. Senior backup quarterback Tommy Lazzaro plunged into the end zone, and his fiery response elicited an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

The teams traded punts, and the Cardinals took over at midfield with 8:37 remaining in the contest. Having gone 34 yards, Ball State faced a third-and-9 from Central Michigan's 16-yard line. 

"Our defense, we know whenever we're working together we're pretty much unstoppable," Brown said. "They took their foot off the gas pedal."

Plitt misfired on a pass intended for Riley Miller, and the Chippewas forced a field goal. Cardinal kicker Ryan Rimmler booted the ball through the uprights. The kick gave Ball State a 44-38 lead over Central Michigan with 5:04 to play. 

Enter senior graduate transfer quarterback Quinten Dormady. 

"Let's go be great," Dormady told his teammates before the drive began.

Dormady hit senior running back Jonathan Ward, who had four touchdowns on the afternoon, for 18 yards on a third-and-7. He then hit sophomore receiver Kalil Pimpleton for a gain of 27 and connected with junior receiver JaCorey Sullivan to put the offense at the Ball State 11-yard line. 

He ran for 5 yards, and Ward pushed forward for 4 more to put the ball at the 2-yard line. 

Facing a third-and-1, McElwain inserted Lazzaro at quarterback.

The backup took the snap, faked a handoff, and bowled his way into the end zone. 

The Chippewas had their first lead since it was 3-0, and with 1:01 to play needed just one stop to secure the win. 

It was up to the defense. 

"They were playing the 'Ring of Fire' in their heads," McElwain said. "You could see it, and it was pretty exciting."

Plitt completed a pass to senior running back Walter Fletcher for no gain on first down. After consecutive incompletions, the Cardinals faced fourth-and-10. 

"We knew we had to come away with a takeaway," Brown said. 

Brown did the honors.

On the snap, Brown floated into his drop zone. Plitt was hurried and forced to throw the ball, and his pass floated right into the hands of Brown. 

After securing the interception, Brown slid to the turf. 

Pandemonium ensued, and the Chippewas were issued a sideline warning for their celebration of a 45-44 victory.

Dormady took three knees, and Central Michigan had completed the comeback. 

"You can't give up; you can't let into the pressure," Brown said after the game. "You just gotta burn through the ring of fire."

"The ring of fire, man," McElwain said while chuckling. "It's real."