Veterans are honored, thanked by CMU on Veteran's Day

Central Michigan University Color Guards retrieve the American and CMU flags to close the Veteran's Day ceremony Nov. 11 in Plachta Auditorium.

Central Michigan University hosted a Veteran's Day celebration to honor veterans on and off campus. 

The event, which took place at 11 a.m. Nov. 11 in Plachta Auditorium, allowed speakers to directly address and thank veterans in the audience.

On multiple occasions, veterans were asked to stand and be recognized for their service. When the group of veterans stood, the auditorium filled with loud claps and cheers.

As individuals walked into the auditorium, they were met with an empty table at its entrance. This "missing man" table was a way to pay tribute to a deceased, missing or imprisoned veteran. Although that missing veteran was not in attendance, the table signified that they were still being remembered for their sacrifices. 

Some faculty and administrators spoke during the ceremony, highlighting their gratitude and sharing their thoughts with the veterans in attendance. 

Associate Vice President of Facilities Management Jonathan Webb, served 25 years in the U.S. Air Force. He said recognition for veterans is important. 

“I think it’s very meaningful to take today and honor those who have served,” Webb said. “If we don’t do that then we kind of tend to forget the people who do step up and wear the uniform and support and defend the Constitution of the United States.” 

Other CMU faculty members highlighted how the university treats those who served and are actively serving. 

According to Interim Vice President of Enrollment and Student Services Tony Voisin, the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency named CMU a gold-level veteran-friendly school.

Voisin also noted that CMU is one of the top universities for students using the GI Bill and federal tuition assistance. 

“We are committed to serving those who have served,” Voisin said. “We offer military tuition discounts and scholarships specifically for military service members, veterans and students enrolled in CMU’s ROTC program.”

With this, Webb urges current students to continue their education with CMU. 

“I’m very proud of our student vets who are here. Hopefully, they are utilizing their GI benefits and after their experience serving, come back to school and earn that CMU degree," Webb said. "It’s a great plan that they have and I hope they stick with it and become alumni.” 

This event was not just for veterans; it was open for anyone to attend. 

“I feel like our student veterans and our alumni veterans are such an important population of students that deserve recognition,” Ombudsperson Erica Peters said. “I wish more people were able to or available to attend this event. I think as a civilian member of the community it’s the least I can do to show my support.” 

Voisin expressed the importance to commemorate the work of veterans every day. 

“We want to recognize your service every day of the year,” Voisin said. “No matter which branch you served, no matter how many years you’ve served, no matter the rank you achieved, we are grateful you chose to answer the call to serve. Thanks to you our way of life is possible... Your service makes it possible for all to pursue life, liberty and happiness not only on this day, but 365 days each year.”