Jonathan Ward 'definitely stood out' at NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, remains in search of NFL Scouting Combine invite

img-0508-1

Jonathan Ward participates in practice during the week leading up to the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in Pasadena, California. The game was played on Jan. 18, 2020.

Ric Serritella knows his way around the college football landscape. 

For the past 19 years, he's spent many hours evaluating talented student-athletes across the country. Every year through his thorough scouting process, Serritella narrows down an initial database of 3,500 players and creates a big board comprised of around 700 of the top prospects. 

He's the creator of the NFL Draft Bible, an independent scouting service used by all 32 teams in the National Football League to evaluate and scout talent at the amateur levels. He was hired to be a scouting consultant at one of the premier postseason all-star games in college football, the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. 

The Collegiate Bowl is an all-star game for seniors and serves as another opportunity for NFL hopefuls to play in front of scouts such as Serritella and boost their draft stock. 

On Jan. 25, Serritella will be in attendance at the Reese's Senior Bowl, a similar event. 

While serving as the consultant for the Collegiate Bowl, Serritella attended practice in the week leading up to the contest. Being present at the practices gave him the opportunity to once again observe players he'd seen play during the regular season. 

Serritella was looking forward to seeing Central Michigan running back Jonathan Ward. 

"I had the chance to watch a handful of Central Michigan games," Serritella said. "We identified Ward as a guy that was impressive. He was on our radar from very early on in the season. The coaches spoke very highly of him and so we monitored him and kept tabs on him throughout the year."

Ward finished his senior campaign with 1,108 yards and 15 touchdowns as part of a lethal 1-2 backfield punch with sophomore running back Kobe Lewis. He finished his career with 2,565 rushing yards and 28 touchdowns. The pedigree for a future at the next level is certainly visible. 

"A lot of people don't make it this far," Ward said. "I'm just trying to ride it until the wheels fall off. Hopefully I get a shot at the next level, but if that's not in God's plan, I just want to be able to say I gave it my best shot."

However, through the eyes of a scout such as Serritella, Ward's potential goes far beyond the stat sheet. Among Ward's talents that stick out are his vision, his elusiveness and ability to make defenders miss, his quickness and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. He has 10 1/4 inch hands, which is rare for a running back. 

Such intangibles were on display throughout the week of practice leading up to the Collegiate Bowl. Serritella named Ward to his All-Practice team at the conclusion of the week.

“I thought he had a really solid week of practice," he said. "He was arguably the best running back that we had out in Pasadena." 

Ward carried the ball six times in the game, played Jan. 18 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, rushing for 19 yards. His team, the American team, was beaten by the National team by a score of 30-20. Former Chatnooga quarterback Nick Tiano was named Most Valuable Player of the game after throwing for 135 yards and a touchdown on 8 of 10 passing. 

Jonathan Ward is gang tackled during the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl on Jan. 18 in Pasadena, California.

“I felt like I performed pretty well in practice and stuff," Ward said. "I felt like I gave the scouts a good impression of who I am as a person."

Despite the solid week of practice, there are concerns when it comes to Ward's game. Those concerns include struggles in pass protection and with ball security. Over the course of his four year career, Ward fumbled nine times and lost seven of them. 

However, Serritella points to a personal interview he had with Ward as evidence that these struggles aren't detrimental to his chances of being drafted. 

"I give Jonathan credit because we interviewed him and (pass protection) was one thing that he said he worked on in the offseason coming into the year," Serritella said. "He recognized, 'This is an area of my game that I need to improve upon.' I think it’s gonna continue to be a work in progress, but he recognizes that, he knows what he needs to do. That’s all you can ask for, the effort and the understanding and having realistic expectations and Jonathan has all of that." 

"Technique, that's all pass protection is," Ward said. "Technique and the will to want to block. I have the will to want to block."

At this point, Serritella has given Ward a 6th-round grade. He believes that the Kankakee, Illinois native has every chance to be drafted on the third day of the NFL Draft, which consists of rounds 4-7. The third day of the 2020 NFL Draft falls on April 25. 

In order to improve his stock, Serritella believes that a sub 4.5 second time in the 40-yard dash is pivotal. Though Ward is considered to be on the bubble when it comes to receiving an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine, Serritella believes that his strong week at the Collegiate Bowl renders him deserving. 

The Scouting Combine is an event that runs from Feb. 24 to March 1 and allows athletes to showcase their talents on the field in various drills. Athletes also have an opportunity to promote themselves off the field in interviews with teams. 

To Ward, an invite would serve as the culmination of his efforts. 

"(It'd mean) a lot," Ward said. "That’s something that I’ve been working toward ever since I started my football career. That’ll probably be the reality check that it’s possible that I can play in the NFL.”

During combine interviews, hopefuls are typically asked about their development, maturity and other aspects of their personality. According to Central Michigan offensive coordinator Charlie Frye and former Chipppewa teammate and center Steve Eipper, no NFL team will have to worry about Ward from a maturity standpoint. 

"Ward's grown up a lot," Eipper said. "If we're having a bad practice, Ward will be the first one there to get everyone in check and make sure practice doesn't end that way."

"He understands that it ain't about him," Frye added. "It's about his teammates. That's the growth I see."

During the season, Ward would deliver snacks such as donuts to his offensive linemen as a reward for paving his running lanes any time the back had a successful game. 

"NFL teams pay attention to that stuff," Serritella said. "That’s the kind of character-type of player that teams are looking for."

Ward is not as polished of a prospect as higher-rated backs such as Wisconsin's Jonathon Taylor or Georgia's D'Andre Swift, but based on potential alone, Serritella believes that there is a future for Ward at the next level. 

"He’s a try hard guy, more of a quiet leader," he said. "Kind of stays to himself but goes about his business. I think scouts love his ability to both feature with the run and with the catch and his versatility there. Listen he’s gonna have to play some special teams when he gets to the next level but I think the upside with Jonathan is what’s important here."

Going back to the week in Pasedena, Serritella stated that Ward was among the best in the backfield. On a stage competing with guys such as Oregon State's Artavis Pierce, New Mexico State's Jason Huntley and Georgia's Brian Herrien, Ward "definitely stood out."

"There’s a few things he needs to work on here, pass protection being one of them, ball security being the other, but you look at the makeup of the player overall and there’s a lot of ability to even emerge as a starter down the road," he said. "Now, there’s gonna be some stuff he needs to do but he does have that upside and potential.

"If he works on improving his pass protection and being a little more physical and assertive there, well then you’re looking at a guy who can potentially be a three down back at the next level."