"Rides and Spangles" circus exhibit stops chariots at CMU this semester

The circus is coming to town Sept. 15.

The Clarke Historical Library is gearing up for “Rides and Spangles: Michigan Circuses and Carnivals,” an exhibit featuring circus and carnival history.

Set to run from Sept. 15 to Jan. 31, the exhibit will feature various events and speakers throughout the months.

“I’m really excited about the exhibit. This is definitely my project and my baby. I hope people enjoy all the events. We are even having circus and carnival-themed refreshments like popcorn and lemonade on opening night,” said Marian J. Matyn, assistant professor for the Clarke Historical Library.

Throughout the months, the exhibit also will feature videos, books, artifacts, famous lion tamer Clyde Beatty’s whip and a miniature circus and carnival train.

Opening night is 7 to 9 p.m. Sept. 15 in the Charles V. Park Library auditorium and will include 92-year-old Bill Thomas of the Flying Melzoras, Matyn said.

Speakers • Sept. 15: Opening night with Bill Thomas of the Flying Melzoras • Sept. 29: John Palacske, Detroit circuses and maritime historian, and Erin Foley, archivist at the Circus World Museum • Oct. 13: Janke’s Circus and Pat Pagel, Circus Fans of America Association President

She said Thomas and his family are Saginaw natives and performed as trapeze artists from the 1920s to 1960s.

Semester speakers

Other speakers for the exhibit’s opening night include Jim Elliott of Elliott’s Amusements, Inc., Joe Skerbeck of Skerbeck Bros. Inc., and Curt Pollie, son of John Pollie.

Matyn said John Pollie and his father owned a circus between 1910 and 1927. John Pollie later operated carnival games.

Matyn said she hopes people will learn a lot of carnival and circus history from her research, despite a decrease in the library’s budget for exhibits.

“I’m not sure how much less we have to work with but, in the past, we’ve had paper catalogs for the exhibits. This time we will use John Pollies pictures and post them on the Clark Historical Library’s Web site,’ she said. “However, I think this exhibit is going to be one of the most exciting we’ve had.”

The second speaker series is set for Sept. 29 and will feature Detroit circuses and maritime historian, John Polacsek and Erin Foley, archivist at the Circus World Museum. They will discuss their circus research, research trends on the topic and the museum, home of the Ringling Bros. and Gollmar Bros. circuses.

Exhibit hours • Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. • Most Saturdays: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Algonac freshman Kailin Kleintjes said she plans on attending the exhibit with a few friends.

“I learned about the exhibit from my library class and I think the history is really interesting. I heard about the 90-some-year-old trapeze artist, and I’m excited to go,” she said. “I really hope to learn something I didn’t know beforehand.”

Mike and Karen "Janke" Janczewski from the Janke's Circus will speak at the event on Oct. 13. They will discuss circus fans, model buildings and miniature circuses. Pat Pagel, current national president of Circus Fans of America Association also is scheduled to speak that day.

“I think this is going to be a wonderful exhibit. I’m very excited and hope everyone will come out to see what we’ve brought in,” Matyn said.