Students learn the art of the hair cut at MJ Murphy

beauty-school
Libby March/Staff Photographer MJ Murphy Beauty College student Samantha Schafer secures her work with hairspray Thursday afternoon during the MJ Murphy Beauty College in-house hair competition. Schafer's work is running in the "Hair By Night" category of the competition.

The large, softly lit room was flanked by people in black smocks with somber expressions, quiet except for intermittent snipping of scissors.

MJ Murphy Beauty College, 201 W. Broadway St., held a hair competition Thursday afternoon. The competition, which includes many different styles of cosmetology, is held to decide the two best students, who then will go to a competition Oct. 25 at the Soaring Eagle Casino, 6800 Soaring Eagle Blvd.

MJ Murphy Beauty College is a nationally-acclaimed and accredited cosmetology school in Mount Pleasant, featuring an 11-month program.

Carol Walker, styles director and instructor at the school and president of Michigan Cosmetologist Association Inc., said MJ Murphy is determined to change the stigma around cosmetologists.

“We touch lives ... we know peoples’ life story by the time we’re done (with their hair),” said Walker, who has been involved in changing hairdos since 1968.

Kathryn Spiller, the governor-appointed consultant for the Michigan State Board of Cosmetology, is the manager of MJ Murphy Beauty College.

Though she lives in Saginaw, she chooses to work in Mount Pleasant because of MJ Murphy’s.

“The reason I drive two hours every day is that the curriculum is far above that of other schools,” Spiller said.

The hair competition is a driving goal for MJ Murphy students, with categories ranging from “Hair By Night” to “Fantasy Hair.”

Coty Howell, more than halfway through his MJ Murphy education, placed first in the Fantasy Hair group and will head to the state competition.

“(In Fantasy Hair), they give you a category, like ecosystem or environment, so you have to be more creative with it,” Howell said.

It was not the first time Howell competed.

“I’ve been in it once. I placed second last year,” he said.

Howell placed 24th last year in the Orlando Premiere Show, a national hair competition.

Students learn the trade

Sarah Abdalla attended Central Michigan University for two years, but said did not feel it was creative enough for her.

So the Alma resident enrolled in MJ Murphy’s.

“I like that it’s small and personal,” Abdalla said. “My best experience so far has probably just been the excitement of being good at stuff and learning new things.”

Abdalla placed first Thursday in the Bridal Hair category.

MJ Murphy’s Beauty College includes the study of hair, skin care, manicuring and pedicuring.

“You learn the basics and, with advice, you learn the techniques, up-do’s, and you can take the basics and grow on your own creativity,” Abdalla said.

There are 89 students enrolled at MJ Murphy’s Beauty College and the college tries to help students out after they graduate as well.

“If you come here and you want to do well, you can,” Abdalla said. “I got a job in Sterling Heights, so I’ll be working in a high-end salon.”

Staff Reporter Rachel Mater contributed to this report.