Grade distribution still online despite concerns

Spring 2009 grade distribution reports are still online after several Central Michigan University department chairs voiced concern over their posting.

A group of department chairs plan to meet Nov. 18 to discuss taking down the grade distribution information available on the Central Michigan University Portal.

“I simply need to talk to other chairs about how they feel and how they think we can push forward our goals,” said Psychology Chairman Hajime Otani. “I’m not looking for a concrete outcome yet. I just want to feel the pulse of the other chairs and see how they feel.”

Students can click “Academics” on Portal, then “Grade Distribution Reports for Spring 2009” to find grades distributed by class and instructor.

Dean of Students Bruce Roscoe said he supports the student desire to have the grades online. Grade distributions were previously available via hard copy in the Charles V. Park Library.

“Students are making the case that they’re accustomed to gathering info electronically rather than by hard copy,” Roscoe said. “I support students having access to the information. It makes sense to have it available.”

The Council of Chairs voted Oct. 21 to pass a resolution to remove the information from the CMU Portal. As a result, a memo was sent to Roscoe on the matter.

“My understanding is that the provost will wait (to make a decision) until after further discussion by the (Student Government Association) and the Council of Chairs,” Roscoe said.

A ‘reasonable request’

SGA President Jason Nichol is hopeful the grade distribution remains available.

“I think it’s a reasonable request,” the Mount Pleasant senior said. “The potential benefit to students greatly outweighs any possible harms.”

Nichol said he believes the chairs need more support internally.

Approximately 15 chairs voted on the memo out of 37 total departments on campus.

“I’d like to see them take a more widespread stance,” Nichol said. “Not even a majority of the chairs voted. However, we are trying to remain sensitive to the opinion of all parties affected.”

Roscoe thinks more support within the Council of Chairs would give the SGA more to think about — it would make a stronger argument for students to listen to.

However, Otani feels the non-voting chairs support taking the grades down.

“I can only wish for more participation, but I never got the sense after sending the memo that (non-voting members) weren’t supportive,” he said.