More than 100 students turn out for Greek recruiting event

meetthegreeks-jms-03
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer From right to left: Delta Zeta members Monroe sophomore Gabbrielle Webb, Bloomfield Hills sophomore Danielle Mansoor and Macomb junior Melissa Fortuna speak with Greenville sophomore Shannon O'Donald about greek life at their sorority in front of their presentation board Wednesday at Meet the Greeks in Carey Hall

Kaitlyn Allore never thought she would be a sorority sister.

But after Wednesday night, the Bay City freshman has the Greek life on her mind. She is considering joining Phi Sigma Sigma.

“Truthfully, I can’t explain what sorority life could bring me because I never thought about going Greek,” Allore said. “But I hope to meet new people and find out if this really is something for me.”

Allore was one of more than 100 students — many of them freshman — that packed Carey Hall’s Real Food on Campus on Wednesday night during this year’s annual spring recruitment event, “Meet the Greeks.”

Other fraternity/sorority events Sigma Tau Delta (International English Honor Society) meetings 8 p.m. Monday through Wednesday in Anspach Hall Room 151 •Phi Sigma Pi (National Honor Fraternity) meetings 8 p.m. Feb. 2 and 3 in Anspach Hall Room 309

Allore and the others had one thing on their minds: exploring Greek life.

The event gave students a chance to sign up for Greek events and, within the coming weeks, the sororities and fraternities will decide whether to accept them as members.

Hold your own

Every Panhellenic Council sorority and Interfraternity Council fraternity was represented.

Each chapter had its own station with presentation boards explaining what it means to be a member. Current Greeks helped explain the lifestyle.

Colorado junior Taylor “Tay” Jackson represented Sigma Chi and said he knows just what he wants from a future fraternity brother.

“What we’re looking for in recruits are people that can hold their own,” Jackson said. “We need people with strong personalities that can represent the ethics our fraternity focuses on.”

Delta Zeta sisters Gabbrielle Webb, a Monroe sophomore, and Melissa Fortuna, a Sterling Heights junior, were pleased with their potential sorority sisters.

Delta Zeta welcomed 23 new members during the fall and hopes to add another 10 this semester.

“We’re super happy with (the new members),” Fortuna said.

Is it for you?

Alpha Gamma Delta alumna Kaitlin Irish could not resist the temptation of being around old friends.

So she stopped by.

“I’m sad to be missing out this semester, but being a student teacher really forces neglect to old habits,” the Mount Pleasant senior said. “I’m just thrilled to still be a part of this culture and hope people interested enough to come tonight sign up.”

Novi freshman Shawna Small had no intention of joining a sorority, but curiosity and a friend prompted her to come.

“I’m interested in seeing what Greek life is all about, but I’m just not sure it’s something for me,” she said. “I could go in there but, honestly, I’m waiting for a friend who might be interested.”