Leadership Institute director retiring from CMU after almost 20 years

leadership-dykeheinze
Dyke Heinze served his last days as director of the Leadership Institute the week of Jan. 4 after deciding to retire. “After 23 years of serving my Country by training soldiers and 15 years serving the University by educating students, it is time for me to seek new challenges and opportunities,” Dyke said in a letter announcing his decision. He intends to visit over seas, do community service and fulfill his goal to learn Latin, among other goals. (Ashley Miller/Photo Editor)

Dykstra Heinze has retired and is seeking new challenges after almost 20 years of serving Central Michigan University.

Heinze, the director of the Leadership Institute, came to CMU in 1990 as an active duty Lieutenant Colonel. After his retirement from the military, he had to make the transition from training soldiers to training students.

“The military is much more rigid. There is a lot more flexibility outside the military. It’s a different kind of process,” Heinze said.

He ended his career at CMU Friday, but will be back Jan. 21 and 22.

Dean of Students Bruce Roscoe said the Leadership Institute could not have had a better leader.

“It was only natural to tap into Dyke and use his skills to train future leaders. The quality of the program is a direct result of Dykes’ own personal qualities. They reflect him and his values. He is very well respected by students, staff and the administrators,” Roscoe said.

Julia Sherlock, director of career services, said Heinze has been a leader and a mentor to many different people, not just students.

“His heart is in the right place. He is a natural-born leader. As the founding director of the Leadership Institute, he has made a big impact on the university,” Sherlock said.

Heinze said students and their ideas keep him invigorated.

“The students have a sense of optimism and enthusiasm, like the world is ahead of them. It’s really refreshing to see that. They come in with new ideas and they see less obstacles than older people do. I’ve learned to listen to my students and act on their interests because of this,” Heinze said.

A transition time

While Heinze’s retirement is a great loss for the Leadership Institute, it will still maintain its place on campus, Roscoe said.

“It’s foolish to expect that we can replace Dyke. It’s going to be a transition, but we will retain the commitment that he had for the program. He built a very stable unit and we will make sure it does not lose its integrity,” Roscoe said.

Heinze said CMU has one of the premiere leadership programs in the Midwest, and other colleges frequently contact the university for advice on how to start their programs.

“Since the program started, the amount of student involvement has increased dramatically,” Heinze said.

The leadership program is intended to help students do more and be involved in things they ordinarily would not do. The program gives students invaluable experience, Sherlock said.

“When you talk to employers, they say, ‘Well, that’s great to have a 4.0, but what else have you done?’” she said.

Roscoe said the program also has helped to give students a bigger voice.

“Students are powerful here at CMU. The student voice has grown immensely since the introduction of the Leadership Institute,” Roscoe said.

He said CMU has been lucky to have Heinze and appreciates all he has done.

“The Leadership Institute is Dykes’ legacy. He can be extremely proud of what he built and the students and staff appreciate him greatly for it,” Roscoe said.