Baseball completes come-from-behind, extra innings win

baseball

The dugout emptied to congratulate senior James Teas after a walk-off single in the bottom of the 10th inning.

The CMU baseball team completed a come-from-behind 8-7 win Saturday at Theunissen Stadium.

The bases were loaded after sophomore Nate Theunissen was intentionally walked. But Teas made the Zips pay the following at bat.

CMU coach Steve Jaksa called the game the best of the season thus far and Saturday's hero agreed.

“It’s a hell of a win for us, coming back in the ninth and scoring those three runs - I mean, we always say it’s a nine-inning game. We battled the whole way and it felt good to get a win,” Teas said. “I can’t ask for anything more than to be put in that situation. It’s the stuff that you dream of.”

The Chippewas (17-11, 7-1 Mid-American Conference) have now won six consecutive Mid-American Conference games after defeating the Zips 8-7 in the 10th inning.

The Chippewas trailed the entire game until Teas’ walk-off single. Down 7-4 going into the bottom of the ninth inning and with bad weather brewing, CMU's chances seemed to be dwindling away before the extra-innings finish.

Junior outfielder Matt Faiman had a breakout game for the Chippewas with four hits and five runs batted in, including a solo home run over the left field wall in the eighth inning.

Left fielder Brandon White for Akron could not make a play on Faiman’s double off of the left field wall in the ninth inning, which scored senior catcher Dale Cornstubble and Teas, cutting the Zips' lead to one. Senior Ricky Clark hit an RBI single to left field to tie the game and send it to extra innings.

“I knew I hit it too high. I was hoping the wind would gust some more and take it out,” Faiman said. “This is huge. We have to come here tomorrow and get the sweep – and especially in the conference, this is huge.”

Sophomore starting pitcher Rick Dodridge pitched 6 and 1/3 innings while striking out two and allowing six earned runs.

Freshman pitcher Dietrich Enns relieved Dodridge and picked up his third win of the season (3-0). Enns pitched 3 and 2/3 innings and allowed one earned run, while striking out four batters.

“Every win means just that more when you look back at the end of the season and see those ones that should have, could have, or may have,” Jaksa said. “We have a long way to go, but I’m going to enjoy this one for a few more hours and get ready for tomorrow.”

The Chippewas will go for the series sweep at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Theunissen Stadium. Junior right-hander Jake Sabol will be on the mound for the Chippewas.