University Theatre's fall lineup spans the dramatic, fantastic, historical

Get ready to sit on the edge of your seats because Central Michigan University’s theatre program has hopes for a standing ovation this year.

For the 2010-11 Season, the University Theatre will put on six different plays consisting of drama, comedy and musicals. There will also be a dance performance done by the Orchesis Dance Theatre.

If you go... All productions are held at Bush Theatre and cost $5 for students, $7 for general public.

Sept. 8-12 - “Incorruptible,” written by Michael Hollinger and directed by Keely Stanley Bohn. A dark comedy about the dark ages.

Oct. 13-17 - “Dead Man’s Cell Phone,” written by Sarah Ruhl and directed by Tim Connors. A drama about a journey of self discovery stemming from one mysterious phone call.

Nov. 12-14 - “Into the Woods,” written by James Lapine, music by Stephen Sondheim and directed by Annette Thompson. Common fairy tales stories are combined into a musical experience.

Jan. 27 - Feb. 6 - “Everyman,” directed by Neil Vanderpool. The story examines Christian salvation and the journey of man through time.

Feb. 23-27 - “Fat Pig,” written by Neil LaBute and directed by Jill Taft-Kaufman is a comedy about dating, love, body image, and more.

March 23-27 - “Stone Girls Dreaming,” written by Lisa Railsback and directed by Nancy Eddy. A story about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“These plays are great because they offer something for anybody,” he said.

Auditions for “Dead Man’s Cell Phone” will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday.

Canton freshman Chelsey Coleman hopes to audition for a part in the play to become more involved with theatre, her intended major.

“The script was confusing at first, but now I understand it,” she said. “I’ve never auditioned for a college level show, so I’m nervous.”

Luke Dill, a Shepherd sophomore, said he would like to be casted as one of the play’s only two guys.

“We didn’t have a big theatre department in Shepherd,” Dill said, “since it was closed down in high school.”

He said he looked forward to expanding his participation with the greater opportunities available at CMU.

Nancy Eddy, assistant professor of communication and dramatic arts is directing, “Stone Girls Dreaming,” a play based off of a suicide bombing in Jerusalem, focusing on the Israeli and Palestinian conflict.

“I think it is important for the community to learn about it,” Eddy said.

People need to understand that it is still a conflict today and probably the most volatile conflict in the world, she said.

Berglund said CMU has seen a lot of great talent and it’s exciting to explore students’ theatrical abilities and watch them grow in their craft through the theatrical events.

He said the quality of each production is very good, especially considering the ticket prices of $5 for students and $7 for the general public.

“We like to keep it accessible for the economy and for our students and community,” he said.

Those interested in purchasing tickets for shows can visit the Central box office or go to http://centralboxoffice.cmich.edu.