Sex in the dark: Q&A sessions from VOX talks contraception options, anatomy

There was little light in Anspach 169, but that didn’t keep students in the dark about the many sex-centric questions on their minds.

Sex in the Dark, sponsored by VOX, Voices for Planned Parenthood, allowed students to ask a ‘sexpert’ about sexual difficulties, information, orientation, and other related questions Wednesday night.

When the room went dark, students planning to ask questions were given a glow stick to illuminate their inquiry.

“VOX strives to let students know about available information regarding contraception, women’s health and access to abortion,” said DeWitt junior Elizabeth Aldrich, vice president and treasurer of VOX.

The event was sponsored by Planned Parenthood, who have been around for 90 years.

The presentation began with a brief look of the anatomy of the female and male reproductive systems and their physiology. Students were able to learn about the different contraceptives: behavioral, boundary, and hormonal.

Mary Blumka, a Shelby Township senior and president of VOX, said she wishes CMU could be more proactive with sex education.

Blumka was trained by Planned Parenthood in Sex Education and served as the ‘sexpert’.

“Students miss out on proper sex education, then have sex, misconceptions, get pregnant and drop out,” Blumka said.

She said people think they know enough about sex, so do not want to take the opportunity or time to give it a second thought.

Addison DeMott and Taryn Schumacher were one of the couples in attendance. Each said they found the question session to be beneficial and learned new information regarding sex education.

“I think because a lot of people are nervous about talking sex in general, that having the conversation in the dark took stress off people,” said DeMott, a graduate student from St. Johns.

Schumacher, a senior from Lowell, said the most interesting question answered was regarding the breaking of condoms and what to do in that situation.

People do not always like to openly discuss sex, but Blumka said she thought the program helped get past inhibitions and learn.