'Twilight' actor Chaske Spencer to speak Wednesday for Native American Heritage Month

Chaske Spencer, known for his role as werewolf leader Sam Uley in “Twilight” will appear as part of Native American Heritage Month.

The Native American Community advocate and activist will speak at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in Plachta Auditorium. The event is free.

Spencer will talk about empowering people to reduce poverty and create sustainable communities, said Steve Lewis, president of Program Board and Allegan junior.

“He will explain how we as a community can put forth the effort to make change in our global society as well as in our local society,” said Colleen Green, director of Native American Programs.

The event is sponsored by CMU Native American Programs, Program Board and the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe.

Lewis said the cause he will speak for is known as the “United Global Shift” and is a subject Spencer has great passion for.

As an advocate and activist for this movement, his mission is to focus on the environment, employment, entrepreneurship, health, and education, Green said.

This is a shift from survival and scarcity to possibility, partnership and peace, she said.

Green said it is important to strive to become more sustainable throughout campus and the community.

Program Board is excited for Spencer to come speak to campus on important issues that hopefully most everyone can relate to, Lewis said.

“We’re very happy to have the chance to bring him to CMU,” he said. “Native American Programs did a great job in finding someone like Chaske Spencer.”

Jessica Southward, a Blissfield sophomore, said she looks forwards to hearing Spencer come and speak. She has a strong interest in the Native American communities and wants to learn more about his views on the issues they may face.

Southwards said the fact that she is a big fan of the “Twilight” book and movie franchise only adds to her excitement about Spencer’s upcoming speech.

“I am currently in an Anthropology class this semester about North American Indian Cultures, but I have always had an interest in Native American cultures and everything to do with them,” Southward said. “My professor announced this event in class and I was really interested.”