Volleyball excited for new home in Events Center; Finch Fieldhouse not ideal for volleyball training

The 2009 season was one of altered routines and new environments for the CMU volleyball team and head coach Erik Olson.

For a coach that had made his home-away-from-home in Rose Arena for the past seven years, Olson was forced to move his team to Finch Fieldhouse this year while renovations were being made to the CMU Events Center.

The team spent its preseason in a dark room in the Student Activity Center, something Olson and his players struggled to adapt to.

“All spring long we practiced in a dark SAC room in a small sports room,” Olson said. “The film quality was terrible because it was so dark in there.”

Then the team was displaced to Finch, where they haven’t competed since Rose Arena was built in 1973.

For the team, the everyday routine they had established changed. The changes were something the team had no control over and were forced to work around.

“It was uncontrollable,” Olson said. “It didn’t mess with our heads, but the fact is it was different.”

The change in venue, however, did cause some problems in regards to the team’s practice style. Because of only having one complete court to practice on, they had to shorten specific position work, which caused problems once the season began.

“We could only pass and play defense on the other court,” Olson said. “You start to not have quite as good of a middle connection with your setter and middles.”

Another issue was the ability for players to access the coaching staff. Because the staff maintained their regular offices in Rose and practices were held in Finch, it was difficult for many of them to get individual time with coaches.

Watching film was also complicated by the move because much of the film time took place in a low quality film room.

“It is just little things like that, players didn’t watch as much film this year because of the inconvenience,” Olson said.

However, Olson said that his two visits to the new facility were interesting and he is excited to see what the final product of the new arena will be.

“I think this new facility is going to be gorgeous and we’re really excited to get back into a routine there,” Olson said.