Area parks offer several activities for winter lovers

ek-winterparks-011
Erica Kearns/Staff Photographer Ally Tupper, 6, and her sister Zoey, 5, of Mount Pleasant play in the snow Thursday at Island Park, 331 N. Main St. "The best part of winter is being around all my family," said Tupper.

Local county and city parks offer numerous winter-related activities for those spending time in the area during the frigid season.

Isabella County Parks and Recreation Marketing Coordinator Katrina Stock said people camp at Deerfield Nature Park on 2425 W. Remus Road despite the cold and snow.

“It’s about a mile hike back to the campground,” she said. “People will bring a sled or wagon and load up their supplies to transport them to the site.”

The campground offers a water pump and toilet. Campers are able to use wood at the campsite in order to build a fire.

The fee for a one-night stay and a vehicle pass is $20. There is a $6 fee for a daily pass into Deerfield without an annual pass.

Stock said there are about five to six groups a year that camp at Deerfield during the winter.

“Campers need to bundle up and make sure that they bring enough warm items,” she said. “Deerfield is a great option for both skiing and sledding.”

Stock said the park also has miles of snow-filled trails. People often use them for cross- country skiing and snow shoeing.

Campers are also invited to ice fish, walk their dogs and hike.

County Parks and Recreation Director Sue Ann Kopmeyer said Deerfield will also be the host of the second annual Frigid Doe Ice Bowl Disc Golf Fundraiser Jan. 22. Proceeds go toward EightCAP.

“There’s a local disc golf group here that puts that on,” Kopmeyer said. “EightCAP provides financial assistance to those in need.”

Kopmeyer said the parks and recreation department provides discounted annual passes to those using EightCAP.

Chris Bundy, director of Parks and Public Spaces, said all of the city parks are free to access during both the summer and winter.

Mission Creek Woodland Park is a popular location for sledding, he said.

“There’s quite a large hill that a lot of folks come out to,” Bundy said. “It’s a quick drive, especially if we have a big snowfall.”

Many of the nine Mount Pleasant parks offer paved trails that people use to walk their dogs. Bundy said people also take their kids out in strollers on them.

Bundy said people continue to kayak and canoe even during the winter through the parks’ many meetings with the Chippewa River.