Symphony Orchestra opens season with French classics Thursday

Central Michigan University’s Symphony Orchestra performed pieces by renowned French composers for its first concert of the season Thursday.

The concert was performed in the Music Building's Staples Family Concert Hall featured composers included Maurice Ravel, Claude Debussy and Georges Bizet.

Conductor Jose-Luis Maurtua, associate professor of composition and theory, led the orchestra in playing over a dozen pieces of music as well as an encore after John Nichol, professor of saxophone, the featured saxophone soloist of the event, played one song.

Grandville residents Katherine and William VanSweden sat with their infant son, Jacob, as the performance began.

“I think the combination of sound and lights caught his attention,” Katherine said. “I saw him look at the violins when they began playing — I think the joining of sight and sound intrigued him.”

William said in addition to exposing Jacob to classical music, they listened to rock and Christian-rock at home.

“He loves listening to music at home, but this was his first concert," he said. "Our secret to keep him from being fussy during the concert (is to) feed him before hand."

Roger Sebring attended the concert to hear his son, James Sebring, Clinton Township senior, perform on the trumpet.

“When James first started, I thought for sure he would quit eventually, but he found something he loved to do and I am proud of him for it,” Roger said.

After Nichol performed "Rapsodie espagnol" by Ravel, the audience applauded for an encore.

“The audience really seemed to enjoy the performance," Nichol said. "It was a thrill and a privilege to be able to perform with CMU’s orchestra. It is Maurtua’s passion and love of music that made tonight possible, along with hours of practice every day.”

Maurtua said he felt the concert was a success that came from hard work.

“There is nothing as exciting as making music with your students,” Maurtua said. “It is a great way to share with them what you know. It is a very dynamic activity and there is communication through music all the time. You really have to know what you are doing, though, if you want to establish and maintain high standards"