COLUMN: The root of racism

“Your people killed our people, now our people are going to kill your people,” were the words ringing through my ears in Mrs. Lashbrook’s sixth grade class on Sept. 11, 2001.

At the time, knowing little of the destruction our country had just faced, those words said by my classmate "John" did not wear on me.

Webster Elementary decided not to inform students of the terrorist attacks. They also did not allow students to go home for lunch that day — with the exception of one.

"John" was the only student allowed to go home that day, because he lived mere blocks away, allowing him to watch the attacks on TV.

I did not think anything of his comment because I had no idea what the kid was talking about, so I brushed it off and went on with my day.

Upon entering my home, I found my mother and sisters glued to the TV. Before me, planes crashed into the twin towers and people were running and screaming — chaos and catastrophe filled the screen.

I was in shock.

There we were, along with millions of others watching, knowing there was nothing we could do.

My family is from the Middle East, which led many to automatically associate us with terrorism.

Since that day, racism has become a part of my life.

The next day in class, we sat in a circle and discussed the tragedy while it was fresh in our minds. After realizing the meaning behind what John said, I felt hurt and belittled by his words.

His 11-year-old rendition of the tragedy was not objective and his perspective may differ now. Either way, it was hurtful to be associated with terrorist who left an unsettling mark on our country.

I am not a terrorist. I am Chaldean. My family is from Iraq and I am not related to Osama bin Laden.

Since then, being Chaldean became a difficult task. At first, people assumed I was related to Osama bin Laden. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve heard the statement, “So does that mean you’re related to Osama bin Laden,” followed by a giggle.

Sept. 11, 2001 was a tragic day for millions not only nationwide, but worldwide. It was a rude awakening for me that individuals who are also terrorists do exist, and they are here for war.

The frequency of me having to explain this to someone is very high, but the assumption that I am related in some way has changed my life forever.