CMU volleyball sweeps Akron

It was domination from start to finish for the Central Michigan volleyball Friday night.

It swept Akron and gave the Chippewas their fourth-straight win.

“Our hitters made better choices throughout the match and we dug really well,” said head coach Erik Olson. “We kept Akron to a .093 attack percentage and I think that was the key to the match.”

The question around the team going into the match was who would start at right side hitter. Would it be junior Jocelyn VerVelde or junior Val DeWeerd? Olson went with the six-foot-four VerVelde and she didn’t disappoint.

“I think (Jocelyn) VerVelde blocked really well today,” Olson said. “This is a good weekend to get her going, but (Val) DeWeerd has done some great things. I told her not to lose her confidence because she is playing well.”

The Zips (4-18 overall, 1-8 Mid-American Conference) were flustered all night long based on some questionable calls that came at inopportune times.

“Perhaps Akron was reliving some bad calls we saw on tape from last week and there were a few tight calls tonight,” Olson said. “When you’re playing high-level volleyball and the ball is going fast, it could go either way.”

The Chippewas (13-7, 6-3 MAC) took advantage of a frustrated Akron team.

“I just go out there and do my thing,” said freshman outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre.

Sophomore libero Jenna Coates was flying all over the court, rleading the team with 22-digs on a night when the team totaled 58-digs.

“My block did a good job of spacing out where I needed to be and I just made good reads,” Coates said.

The Chippewas are back at 7 p.m. Saturday in McGuirk Arena as they look to capture their biggest winning streak since 2009 with their fifth in a row.