'Where's Waldo?' game to be held on campus Wednesday

Five students sporting red stripes and round glasses will be hidden throughout campus in a “Where’s Waldo?” game Wednesday.

A student group will host the scavenger hunt starting at 5:30 p.m. at Finch Fieldhouse.

The event is part of a class project for RPL 430: Planning Recreation Programs and Events. In the class, five students are put together at random and must create an event from scratch.

Tim Otteman, assistant professor of recreation, parks and leisure services and instructor for the class, said this project is the crux of the class.

“Throughout the semester students learn how to plan an event,” Otteman said. “Then they must run the event, make money and donate it to the charity of their choice.”

All proceeds will go to Believe in Miracles, a nonprofit organization founded in 2005 by two fifth-graders from Troy. Its mission is to help Michigan children suffering from threatening medical conditions by buying them a gift of their choice.

Group member and Muskegon junior Allison Wisneski said the charity was picked because a member in their group attended high school with one of the organization’s founders.

“Because of the foundation’s purpose, we really want to get younger kids involved (in the scavenger hunt),” Wisneski said. “We just hope it’s a really good turnout with good weather.”

While Otteman is not directly involved in any of the projects and only evaluates them at the end, he said this group did a good job at tying the event with the charity of their choice.

Wisneski said they hope to get 40 teams or more and raise at least $400.

The entry fee is $12 per two-person team and $14 with pizza. Registration will start at 5:30 at Finch Fieldhouse on Wednesday. Participants can also pre-register for a $10 team fee by emailing WaldoAtCMU@gmail.com

There will be prizes for the first two adult teams and two kid teams to come back with all five clues.

A raffle will also be held at 7:30 p.m. Prizes include a child-size Waldo costume, a CMU Fathead, local restaurant gift cards and more prizes donated by the event’s sponsors.