College of Medicine start-up costs will exceed $30 million

Central Michigan University now estimates the start-up costs for the College of Medicine will exceed $30 million.

CMU initially set aside $25 million over five years to fund CMED start-up costs. Provost Gary Shapiro said in an email to students Friday the estimated start-up cost for CMED is now “likely to exceed $30 million.”

He said the university also anticipates the need for an additional $3 million in continuing annual support for the medical program.

Shapiro did not respond to Central Michigan Life’s questions in time for publication.

According to the CMED Institutional Self Study for the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, seven associate deans and assistant deans have been appointed and CMED plans to hire two additional deans in the areas of research and graduate medical education by summer 2012.

The two newest deans are Kevin Karbowski, assistant dean for Faculty Group Practice, and Dr. Chris Rohr, associate dean for Clinical Education Sites. The document did not contain salary information for the deans.

As previously reported by CM Life, salaries for the five other associate and assistant deans range from $200,000 to $325,000.

LCME REPORTS RELEASED

After FOIAs from three groups, the LCME full report was released to the public Friday. According to the documents, CMED has 18 full-time faculty in basic science, 35 fulltime clinical faculty, 11 parttime clinical faculty and 91 volunteer clinical faculty in the 2011-12 academic year.

Basic foundation science includes all non-clinical content areas, and CMED faculty in pathology are also reported as basic science. The 18 full-time basic science faculty consist of six professors, two associate professors, five assistant professors, three instructors and two vacant positions in microbiology and pharmacology.

The 35 full-time clinical faculty consist of two professors, four associate professors, 17 assistant professors, six instructors and six vacant positions.

When classes start in the 2013-14 academic year, CMED anticipates having 29 full-time basic science faculty, 48 fulltime clinical faculty, 11 parttime clinical faculty and 175 volunteer clinical faculty.

According to the documents, CMED tuition and fees for 2013-14 will be $31,740 for in-state and $61,040 for out of- state students. The student services and computer fee will be $2,000. CMED students will each receive a security fob for 24-hour access to the 35-seat computer lab located in the Health Professions Building.

CMED students also will receive $15 for printing per month each quarter. Graduate students currently receive $15 for printing each semester, and undergraduate students receive $10 for printing each semester.

CMED weaknesses listed in the document are an internal fear of change, conservative egalitarian culture, fear of failure, faculty agreement, department chairpeople included in the faculty agreement and a lack of research presence at CMU.

Faculty Association President Laura Frey said in an email Monday the faculty will gather for the LCME accreditation team visit. She said faculty will gather on the second floor of Rowe Hall and possibly outside from 7 to 8:45 a.m. and 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.

“This is not a picketing event,” she said. “Faculty will not have signs.”