MUSIC REVIEWS: Unsung albums of 2011

Every year is a good year for music; you just have to dig a little deeper sometimes.

With the sheer vastness of the world we have around us, sometimes fantastic releases can get swept under the rug. Without any further ado, let’s jump into some of the diamonds in the rough from all around the world that everyone should give a listen to — these are the unsung heroes of 2011:

Danananananakroyd — “There Is A Way” The sophomore (and possibly final) release of the Scottish fight-pop band switches things up with a more dance-punk influence than pop-punk, but utilizes this to offer new style to their unique sounds.

Forus — “We” The French skatepunk outfit may have put out one of the most blistering releases this year. This album’s speed may only be matched by the instrumental technicality. Seat belts may be required for listening.

Hey Champ — “Anything At All” While only four tracks long, “Anything At All” is a fantastic modern look at that '80s neon and nostalgia electro-house music coming from house’s hometown of Chicago, features extremely addictive and dancey songwriting.

Hey Smith — “Free Your Mind” If you enjoy bands like Less Than Jake, then Japan’s Hey Smith is right up your alley. A flawless combination of ska and melodic hardcore crafts a blissful ska-punk classic of an album.

Powder! Go Away — “Laika Still Wants Go Home” With a little more indie-rock sensibility to their post-rock formula, Russia’s Powder! Go Away delivers all the passion and sadness the genre is known for while breathing in fresh diversity as well.

Totalfat — “Damn Hero” Only a soulless being couldn’t crack a smile to the delicious amounts of shredding pop-punk going on from Japan’s Totalfat. The lead single, “World Of Glory (Feat. Joe Inoue),” easily wins both song of the year and music video of the year.

North Sky Cinema — “Oh My Michigan” Mount Pleasant’s own North Sky Cinema shows off a great melding of indie, alternative, and second wave emo to create a unique blend of somber and passionate, but heavy rock. While the production quality is not the best, the song quality more than makes up for it with how great they are.

The Joy Formidable — “The Big Roar” Riding high off the new wave of combined shoegaze and alternative sound, Wales’ The Joy Formidable has proven to be one of the best at executing it with great atmosphere and writing. Also, it is nice to have an actual female vocalist instead of a dude who just sounds like a woman.

Guineafowl — “Hello Anxiety” Australian outfit Guineafowl brings a very clean look at the post-punk and dream-pop era of years past with their bouncy, yet dark sounds. Though only five tracks long, all are worthwhile listens.

Skyway — “Finders Keepers” While not exactly up to par with their last release, Australia’s Skyway shows they are still one of the most dominant forces in today’s pop-punk scene, a little more melodic hardcore influence on this release, but an extremely solid effort nonetheless.