David Garcia project offers students opportunity to learn about disabilities

newyearnewlife_02
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Midland juniors Lauren Butler laughs with her fiance Ben Puckett as the two discuss "road blocks" in their life Monday evening during "New Year, New Life" in Pearce 128. "New Year, New Life" is a program created by Highland senior Alex Chouinard to help students reach true fulfillment in their lives.

Seemingly simple tasks for most people still pose challenges for others, and that is exactly what the David Garcia Project aims to demonstrate.

On Monday night in Kulhavi Hall, the program demonstrated for eight people just how difficult daily tasks can be for people with disabilities.

The David Garcia Project is designed to educate people about the different types of disabilities people may have. The presentation is a simulation to show what it would be like if you have certain impediments. The four disabilities touched on were auditory, learning, visual and physical.

The program asks students to do simple, everyday tasks such as taking a message, writing their name and taking a walk, all while experiencing barriers they normally wouldn't deal with. Students would take a message while they had ear plugs in their ears. While writing their name, they could only write it while looking in the mirror, and they had to take a walk with goggles that simulated a certain degree or type of blindness.

Belleville junior Nicole Infante has been involved with the David Garcia Project for about two years.

"It was really interesting to me, so I got involved," Infante said. "My friend is now the coordinator, and this is my second year as a facilitator."

David Garcia was a 9/11 victim who suffered from an incurable and degenerate eye disease in which his vision worsened as he aged. Garcia was still active however, in his college life, social life and now in his after life as his memory lives on. The program was named after him to pass on his legacy and educate those about disabilities.

Birch Run senior Rhane Martin has also been involved with the project for about two years. He said he is involved, because it will help in his career.

"I am going into physical therapy, and I wanted to be able to know how to deal with people with physical disabilities," Martin said.

Detroit freshman Chelsea Moss participated in the event and said she came along with a friend to support her, because she attended for a class.

"This was a good experience to have; it gives you a different understanding on what some peoples' lives are like and why they may have certain animosity," Moss said. "My favorite part of the project would have to be drawing using the mirrors; it's truly amazing to see how difficult it was to draw while looking in the mirror"