Winners chosen for 2012 juried student art exhibit; will be on display through March 24

artgallery_02
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Warren senior Andrew Hawkes stands talking with friends after receiving the Grand Award at the 2012 Annual Juried CMU Student Art Exhibition held saturday afternoon at the University Art Gallery.

This year’s juried art exhibit was smaller than usual, with 58 students entering 125 pieces.

About 70 people gathered in the main gallery of the Central Michigan University Art Gallery for the reception of this year's exhibit at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Gallery Director Anne Gochenour said the quality of entries was as high as it has ever been, regardless of the small selection pool.

“A bigger show isn’t necessarily a better show,” she said.

Of the 125 pieces entered, 77 were chosen to be displayed in the main art gallery. Two professional artists, Denise Whitebread Fanning and CMU alumnus Joe Rivard, acted as jurors for this year's exhibit. Fanning and Rivard were responsible for choosing the pieces to be displayed and the winners of the merit, juror and grand awards.

Warren senior Andrew Hawkes earned the $200 grand award with his piece “The Night After.” His sugar-and-salt-on-paper display depicted the struggles of moving on after ending relationships.

This was Hawke's fourth year entering the juried student art exhibit and his fourth prize, but he said he didn't enter expecting to win.

“It's just a great opportunity to show,” he said. “It's exciting to see art from fellow students.”

Hawkes is working toward a degree in photography but said he likes to branch out, like he did for this exhibit. He said he hopes to get a master's degree and teach art at the college level in the future.

Bad Axe senior Lauren Hild won one of this year's $50 merit awards with her piece “Resurgence of the Glass Ceiling.” Based off an argument she had with her mother, Hild's bronze, fabric and vinyl piece was a portrayal of discrimination against working women.

Hild said she didn't expect any awards after winning last year's grand prize and said it's impossible to guess what the judges will pick. Craftsmanship and underlying intent are two of the many considerations that go into judging pieces.

Sterling alumnus Sarah Noble agreed judging is a complicated process. She said, even as a professional graphic designer, she didn't think she would be a qualified judge because of the vast set of skills to consider.

Noble helps design print, magazine and web content for 94.5 The Moose but was still impressed by the work presented at the exhibit.

“It's something to be inspired by,” she said. “If you stop looking, what's the point of designing or creating any more?”

The exhibit will be on display in the main art gallery until March 24.