William Arnold, Jon Weaver create tight-knit bond for CMU baseball

About a month ago, Central Michigan senior catcher William Arnold was in the midst of discussing the respect between pitchers and catchers.

And that’s when CMU senior pitcher Jon Weaver pulled a low blow, throwing a tennis ball beneath Arnold’s waist.

All in fun, Arnold said, “I’ll get you back.” But according to Weaver, he’s still waiting for Arnold’s revenge.

Despite their comical personalities, these two — as well as the entire pitching/catching staff — get along well. The pitcher-catcher relationship is important, because they work hand-in-hand, game after game.

“I get along with (catchers) all really well, actually,” Weaver said. “Out of all the people I hang out with on the team, I’d say the majority of the time it’s with the catchers, especially Will.”

Arnold, who was named the Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week on Feb. 21 after hitting four home runs and eight RBIs in a weekend series against Troy, wasn’t originally a catcher.

The Mount Pleasant native was recruited as a shortstop, but the move was made to put Arnold at catcher – a position he hadn’t played much of since little league.

“Catching is a lot of fun,” Arnold said. “It’s definitely a whole different game than anyone ever realizes. It’s much more mental than any other position, and I definitely enjoy that part of the game.”

Head coach Steve Jaksa is glad the change has worked out.

He said Arnold’s passed-ball count is down, and Arnold’s athletic ability made the switch effective.

“He’s a good athlete, and we’re able to do that,” Jaksa said about Arnold’s position change. “It’s been really good for him and really good for us. It’s a two-way street.”

Arnold is in the midst of his second season as a catcher, and he’s making strides. Last year, assistant coach Jeff Opalewski decided what pitches were to be thrown throughout the course of a game.

Now, Arnold is in command.

“Will calls his own game, and I don’t think I’ve shook him off, maybe once,” Weaver said. “He knows what I want to do, and we just go out and do it.”

Arnold said he gets along with all of the pitchers, but the bond between him and Weaver is tight because of their days on the same summer league team.

The two have been a part of the Lima Locos’ baseball program for the past two years in Lima, Ohio, and this tight-knit relationship has built trust that has branched to all the pitchers and catchers.

“I think the more they learn each other, the more they trust each other,” Jaksa said. “There’s a trust that’s so very important.”