Dean and Rheault lead baseball's comeback win at EMU

Junior shortstop Jordan Dean saved the day for the Central Michigan baseball team in an 8-6 win in game two against Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti Saturday.

Trailing by one after scoring three runs in the seventh, Dean came up to the plate with senior catcher William Arnold on first and freshman right fielder Nick Regnier on second and delivered a three-run home run for his fourth hit of the day giving the Chippewas (15-20, 6-5 MAC) an 8-6 lead.

“It was a 3-2 count, I knew what I was getting and he left it up,” Dean said. “Most of my at-bats I swung early in the count, I was being aggressive but I felt good with all my at-bats today.”

Junior Patrick Kaminksa started, but lasted just four innings five runs off eight hits. Freshman Dylan Rheault replaced him.

Rheault came through going four innings as well allowing just four hits while striking out seven and kept the Eagles (15-19, 7-4 MAC) off the scoreboard.

“Those relievers gave us the opportunity to come back,” Jaksa said.

The big difference in the game Saturday and the 4-0 loss Friday is the CMU bats coming through in the clutch.

The Chippewas didn’t strand 14 runners on base Saturday like Friday. It was one reason why they have a shot at the series win and a share of first place in the Mid-American Conference West Division Sunday.

“The most important thing is that we played really hard today and played with a lot of passion,” head coach Steve Jaksa said. “At the end of the day, it was a good day for us.”

Dean wasn’t the only CMU player hitting.

Senior first baseman Nate Theunissen continued swinging a hot bat this weekend getting two RBIs while fellow senior, left fielder Sam Russell, also had two RBIs on the day.

“I want all of our guys to be consistent and those guys (Dean, Theunissen and Russell) have been consistent this weekend,” Jaksa said. “I was really pleased with our at-bats today.”

Junior pitcher Dietrich Enns came in and earned the save in the ninth inning that clinched the victory for the Chippewas.

CMU and EMU will play the deciding game three 1 p.m. Sunday. The winner not only will take the series, but for EMU it can have sole possession in the MAC West and CMU can share that spot with a win.

“Every game is important to us but this a little more,” Dean said. “A win will put us in good position and we try not look at that stuff and if just focus and play like we did today we’ll be fine.”