Ryan Heeke, son of athletics director, joins CMU baseball family

If you look through the Central Michigan baseball roster you will see some familiar names.

You will see senior Nate Theunissen and think of the Theunissen Stadium (named after his grandfather Bill Theunissen). You see freshman Marc Jaksa, son of head coach Steve Jaksa.

Another name that jumps out is redshirt freshman Ryan Heeke, son of the CMU Athletics Director Dave Heeke.

“It’s a little different (being the son of an AD) when you’re in college than in high school,” Ryan Heeke said. “When you’re in high school it’s fun because you get to take your friends on the sidelines, but in college those are your friends playing on the sidelines.”

One would imagine recruiting Ryan Heeke to CMU wasn’t a very tough job for Steve Jaksa. Despite being a highly decorated player out of Mount Pleasant High School, not many schools were taking in interest in Ryan due to a knee injury that ended his senior season.

“I was recruited a little bit from other schools, but after my injury not many schools (were interested), so I just wanted to come here,” Ryan Heeke said.

After his senior season, which he batted .424 with 11 doubles, three triples, 30 RBIs and 29 stolen bases, Heeke was named to the 2011 Division II All-State Team, the Morning Sun Dream Team, Saginaw News Dream Team and Detroit News Dream Team.

He was also a part of the Michigan High School Baseball Coaches Association All-Star Game at Comerica Park.

“He’s a left-handed hitter, we like left-handed hitters and he can run a bit, play some outfield as well as second base for us,” Steve Jaksa said. “We just him back in January, but we like his swing, his work ethic and he’s a smart guy.”

Jaksa said next season he will get a look at second base and in the outfield.

With the name Heeke your last name is synonymous with all things Chippewas – the good and bad.

“I might hear it behind my back, not in front of me too much,” Ryan Heeke said. “The good stuff they’ll say to my face; the bad, probably not.”

His father has the luxury of having his son stay home and not only join him at CMU, but be a part of one of the most successful programs his school has to offer.

Although Ryan is being redshirted this season, you can imagine that his father is watching over the team, not just as an AD, but as a parent watching his son’s team play.