CMU uses big bats to pummel Ball State, 15-4

The Central Michigan baseball team (27-25) is the hottest team in the Mid-American Conference after defeating Ball State (11-34) 15-4 Saturday to improve its winning streak to nine.

The only thing hotter than CMU’s streak is its bats.

The Chippewas (27-25) patiently waited for their pitch, making opposing pitcher Chris Marangon throw 33 pitches in the first inning. Marangon lasted just 3 1/3 innings before being replaced. CMU finished the game with 20 hits.

Freshman catcher Tyler Huntey went 3-for-4, with a home run and 4 RBIs.

“The pitchers are hot right now, the batters are hot right now,” Huntey said. “Everything is just clicking, it’s a lot more fun now that we are winning.”

CMU starting pitcher Patrick Kaminka improved to 5-2 after pitching seven and two-thirds innings. The offense for CMU produced at least a run in six of eight innings.

Senior designated hitter Nate Theunissen went 4-for-5 with 3 RBIs.

One of Theunissen’s hits was a deep double to center field in which Theunissen thought was out of the park.

“Yeah, I thought it was gone,” Theunissen said. “I knew I got quite a bit of the ball but I did hit it really high so there’s always that chance that it goes out, but there wasn’t much wind today.”

Theunissen was also happy to get another win.

“We are putting together hits, we are playing pretty good defense, and we are seeing the ball unbelievable right now,” Theunissen said. “Really give credit to every guy, the pitching staff, the hitters, and our defense too.”

CMU will be looking for the sweep Sunday to keep pace with first-place Toledo.

“To put up that many hits is such a confidence booster,” Theunissen said. “We’re looking for the sweep tomorrow and hoping to continue this offense.”

After the Cardinals mounted a comeback in the eighth inning by scoring three runs, CMU responded in the bottom half by scoring eight runs.

Head coach Steve Jaksa has been pleased with his team’s batting, pitching and fielding during CMU’s nine-game winning streak, pointing to all three phases as playing a key in the streak.

Jaksa said CMU had an advantage over Marangon because he had never pitched at Theunissen stadium before.

“I told the team I thought we were in a position to welcome him to Theunissen Stadium,” Jaksa said. “His numbers in the conference teams were hitting only .197 so we had a great day hitting the ball, and it never stopped.”