Dodridge's complete game shutout sends CMU into MAC tournament championship

Junior starter Rick Dodridge had his best outing of the season, punching Central Michigan’s ticket to the Mid-American Conference tournament championship game Saturday.

Dodridge threw a complete game shutout against Miami University, allowing just six hits and walked two and striking out three at All Pro Freight Stadium in Avon, Ohio.

“Rick was just outstanding,” said head coach Steve Jaksa. “I’m really proud of him because he’s had a little adversity (this season), and for him to pitch that kind of game in this kind of environment is good for him.”

Dodridge had some help by his defense, who turned a few double plays and a rare triple play in the second inning.

On the triple play, MU had a hit and run on but senior outfielder Tyler Hall made a nice catch and doubled off the runner at first. Junior first baseman Jordan Adams then threw to second to get the second runner to complete the 8-3-4 triple play.

“We played good defense and that triple play in the second got us pumped up,” Dodridge said. “(The) Offense gave me some run support and I thought ‘all right, attack the zone and let my defense work.'"

The Chippewas' offense gave support early to Dodridge, including another five-run fourth inning that gave them the 7-0 lead. They wouldn’t plate another run in the game, but wouldn’t have to because Dodridge's performance.

Redshirt freshman catcher Tyler Huntey and senior outfielders Sam Russell and Tyler Hall each had multi-hit games. Redshirt freshman second baseman Pat MacKenzie and senior William Arnold each added a pair of RBIs.

“We broke it open with the five after the triple play," Jaksa said. "That was a real momentum changer for them (Miami)."

After a long Friday, a complete game is just what CMU and its bullpen needed to save arms for the MAC Championship game against No. 1 seed Kent State.

“When you don’t have to use that bullpen, going into our sixth game it keeps a couple guys fresh for us,” Jaksa said. “We have a full bullpen and that’ll be important in this championship game.”

The Chippewas have not won the MAC championship or made an NCAA tournament appearance since 1995. They can do both of those with a win over the Golden Flashes Saturday. First pitch is set for 4:15 p.m.

“We just need to play like we just did,” Jaksa said. “Good fundamentally sound baseball.”